35. Light, Happiness and Perfection

————

————

Harry's POV

There are two things that I know:

1. I know about the black box in Rose's armoire. I know what's in it and I know what she did with it, generally speaking.

2. I am 100% and fully aware that it is Kimberly Goudeau in the bedroom upstairs and not Rosalie Broussard.

Which is why I'm upset.

Thing is, I know Rose had some "unconventional" spiritual practices that she kept a secret from us. But I knew, because I knew Rose. She'd use it to heal us when we were sick and for other good reasons. I don't understand it at all but I know she used it for good; she was a good person.

As a child, I knew that she didn't want me to know so I pretended I didn't. As I got older, she slackened. She locked the black box and put it away. So I had completely forgotten about it.

On to why I'm upset.

I didn't intrude or snoop to watch her do anything with her practices. But one day, I overheard her talking amongst herself in her room when I was headed in there. I waited outside for her to finish, but of course, I overheard the conversation.

Being that it was years ago, all I can truly remember is the fact that she was talking about soul transfers. At the time, I thought it was cool because I was a kid and the thought reminded me of some of the crazy things I saw on TV.

After she died, I recalled that night and became curious. It was hard for me to get any information about it but I know it— whatever it really is— is possible.

Hence the basis of why I'm doing all of this. I need her back. The entire reason I've been going through the trouble of harming other people is because I've been hoping her soul or spirit would realize I have been bringing these girls here for her.

There was a point, after Kiana, where I figured that it was a waste of time and that maybe I had no fucking idea what I was doing.

But then I saw Kimberly.

I was in town. I had figured I should go out sometime like a "normal" person because I had given up trying to get her back.

It was at a restaurant that I first saw Kimberly. I noticed a familiar head of hair and did a double take. She had finally turned so that I could see her face and I swear, I thought that maybe I had died and gone to heaven.

I thought she was Rose. She looked so much like her. I couldn't believe it.

It had to have been a sign. The coincidence of me deciding to give up on getting Rose back and live a normal life and then going out and practically seeing her. It was a sign that I shouldn't give up. That I should try one more time. With the girl in the yellow dress, laughing as she spoke to someone over the phone. Everything about the way she looked... she was the embodiment of light, happiness and perfection. Because she looked just like Rosalie.

I remember my jaw dropping as I watched her chat on the phone, just a few tables away from me. I could swear she was moving in slow motion. It was unreal.

I blinked hard a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I was lucky that she never caught me staring because she would have most definitely been spooked.

She laughed at something the person on the phone said. Her laugh verified that she in fact wasn't Rose; that wasn't the laugh Rose had.

She finished the conversation she was having just when the waiter came to give her back her card and receipt. She thanked him with the most vibrant smile. It even made him blush. I watched as she collected her bag and stood from the table.

Reality set in quick when I noticed she was heading for the door. I knew I couldn't just let her go. I quickly stood from the table, not caring that I had a plate still half full in front of me and darted out of the small restaurant. I stopped when I made it outside and looked around to see where she'd went. I spotted her down the sidewalk, walking with a happy bounce.

When she stopped at the car I presumed to be hers, I acted quick and headed for mines. That's when I followed her to see where she lived and where I had to go to get her when it was time.

Now, she's been here for 6 months.

I've never had anyone this long. I knew I had to hold onto her.

She was different than the rest. Not only did she look like a replica of Rose, but she was the only one willing to play the part in the meantime. She was the best I had thus far. I trusted her the most, even though she did try to run, she remains the most trustworthy candidate.

She's still here because she's too precious to kill. I don't even like to touch her half the time because I'm afraid I might break her or something and ruin everything. But I've slipped up, obviously. Those were the times that it was too difficult to resist. Being afraid of touching her is why I had forgotten to give her the burn for so long.

The only reason she is still here is because I know I'll never find a better person. I figured that Rose would eventually see that and come back to me through her, I just needed to wait.

But it's been far too long now.

I've grown impatient.

I've been feeling sick about it for the past couple of days. I've been avoiding Kim and holed up in my bedroom. I've cried about it, thrown up, punched the wall. Went through all the stages of grief.

As I sat in the middle of my bed with my face buried in my hands, crying, I had started to come to terms with the fact that maybe I was wrong.

Because it's been 6 months and Kimberly is still here. In her own body.

I've been trying to prepare myself for the fact that this might not work and never will, that I'll never have my Rose again, that I'll die miserable here. No lover, no children, just me. Because I don't want anybody else but her. I don't want a family with nobody else but her.

The other shitty part about having kept Kimberly here for so long is that... I've become a little attached.

Which is why I have decided that I'd give it one more week. One more week, and if Rose doesn't come by the end of it, I'll finally give this up and get rid of Kimberly.

One week.

I hadn't decided on which ending I wanna go with so I'm just as curious to see how this will all end as some of y'all probably are.