25. A Favor

Missing journal entry

After finally putting Harry to bed, I stayed up late. I went to the breakfast table to read and drink tea to make sure I wasn't disturbing anyone.

Something in me told me to look out the window and into the backyard but I didn't until I heard a strange noise coming from out there. When I looked, Glen stood there in the backyard, waving at me to come outside.

I angrily glared at him through the window before quietly rushing outside.

"What are you doing here?!" I whispered aggressively, "How did you find this place? I told you, you can't come here!" I scolded as I stepped down from the porch. He just smiled at me and waited for me to approach him.

When I did, though, the strangest thing happened. Just when I got close enough to him, he wasn't him anymore; he was a woman. I took a step back when I recognized this woman from some of the dreams I've had, but I know for a fact that I'm not dreaming right now.

Scared, I took another step backwards but my back collided with something. Someone.

The person I bumped into— the redheaded one— circled around me and stood next to the other woman. After that, it was like I was frozen. I couldn't move nor scream.

"Hello," the first woman stepped closer to me with a deceitful smile, "I'm Manon. It's nice to finally speak with you, Rose, now that the little demon isn't following you around," her voice was so melodic and tantalizing. I scowled at the way she spoke of Harry.

"Oh, come on now, Manon. You don't have to be so mean. You know that's practically her son," the second woman spoke and Manon rolled her eyes. Her voice was smooth too, but not hypnotic and she had more of a southern drawl, "I'm Josephine," she smiled at me.

I looked between the two silently. Manon tilted her head and stepped closer to me, "We know you hate those old bastards in there," she coo'd as she brushed my cheek but I inches my face away from her touch.

"I don't hate them," I lied with a squint. I don't necessarily like them but, Mr. Thibodeaux isn't too bad at least. I'm grateful that they take care of me.

Manon laughed a little, "Of course you do. Especially the lady of the house. It's okay to hate them, they treat you like a slave," she tsked and shook her head.

I narrowed my brows at them, "I am not a slave," I said sternly.

"You sure about that?" Josephine asked in a way that made it seem as though she had some bad news to tell me.

"Of course I am!" I said highly offended.

"Your position here ain't too different from that of a Mammy, sugar. You think this is just a job? People get paid money for their jobs," Manon sassed.

"But they—,"

"But they what? Take care of you? Give you a place to stay and food to eat? Their ancestors did that for me too and I was one," she laughed, "and sure, you could up and one day decide to leave but you'd have absolutely nothing," She taunted me.

I didn't say anything but still stood my ground with an angered look on my face.

"What if we were to tell you that you could be free of those two— truly free— AND keep that little demon of yours?" She raised a brow and crossed her arms.

"What? What do you mean?" I shook my head in disproval.

"Look, sugar," Josephine stepped to Manon's side, "we have a very simple favor to ask of you... and in return, you get to have everything you want. Everything to work out in your favor," she said intriguingly.

I gulped, "how do you know what I want?"

"Picture this," she crossed her arms, "Those parents gone, the kid safe and all yours and you get to run off with him and that lover of yours."

"Gone? Wha— what do you want from me?" I squinted.

"Your cooperation is all," Manon said with that menacing, through-the-lash glare she keeps.

"I... no. I can't. I don't know what you mean by 'the parents gone' but I doubt it's anything good. I'm sorry," I started off with confidence but gradually became fearful as Manon started to look angry.

"You must," she tried to keep her cool, "You.... wouldn't want anything to happen to that little demon of yours, now would you?" She threatened with a smile.

My face quickly switched into an angry glare. I tightened my jaw and both Manon and Josephine knew they had triggered something in me. The looks on their faces told me that's what they were hoping to do.

My tone lowered, "Look, bi—,"

The sound of the screen door creaking cut me off and I was suddenly able to look back. It was Harry. He must've woken up from his sleep to look for me. He used his fist to rub the sleep out of his eyes and stepped onto the first step, "Rose?" He called for me sleepily.

"Go back inside, honey. I'll be there in a bit," I said to him in a sweet tone. I watched him as he pouted a little and slowly made his way back into the house.

"Think about it," Manon whispered in my ear but when I turned back around, neither of them were there anymore. I looked around for a second before hurrying back inside.

This was the first time of many that the two of them came to me outside of my dreams.

I have to study for finals for the next two weeks so I may or may not update as frequently as I usually do.
Don't leave me in the meantime! Y'all should have finals to study for as well!