31. Damn...

Diana's POV

That little personal investigation of mines has come to a standstill.

There's only so much I can collect from the internet and what news outlets were allowed to release about each case. Putting pieces together from just how some dead bodies were found is hard. I don't know how to connect murder styles with shit that could lead me to Kim's kidnapper. I'm not fucking Spencer Reid.

Honestly, who was I kidding? I thought I could figure this out, but I can't. My fiancé was right about this just being me trying to cope with her being gone. It's been months. I'd be reaching if I were to believe she's out there somewhere alive and unharmed. If this guy kills the women he kidnaps in shorter periods of time, why would he still have Kim? What would he have been doing with her all this time? Actually, I don't even want to think about that.

I realized that I had been lost in thought and staring at a box of microwaveable popcorn for god knows how long.

Seeing popcorn always reminded me of that damned Olivia Pope that I've had to watch repeatedly, more times than I'd like. Being reminded of that then led me to think about Kim and how she was the culprit as to why I have far too many lines from that show memorized. Hence, why I've been staring at the popcorn, looking crazy.

I grabbed the box and put it in my basket so people wouldn't think I was just staring at it just because.

I embarrassingly looked around before clearing my throat and heading to another aisle. I don't even know why I'm here. I guess my Saturdays have become so uneventful and boring that I have to go to the grocery store and stare at popcorn for entertainment.

I miss her. So much.

I made a sharp turn toward the aisle that had all the pastries. As soon as I did, I bumped into someone. "Oh— I'm sorry," I laughed shyly. I looked up and my eyes lit up a little when I recognized the person I'd bumped into.

"Heeey!" I pointed at him with a smile. It was the older guy that I met outside this grocery store, in front of Kim's missing persons picture.

"Oh hey!" He smiled back, "what a coincidence. Everything been alright?"

I shrugged and gave him a slanted smile and he nodded in understanding. "What about you?" I asked to be polite. "Can't complain," he shrugged as well but with a genuine smile. Must be nice.

"You... got any closer to finding your friend?" He asked carefully.

I took a quick second to compose and ready myself to say something that's been hard for me to admit without my voice cracking in the slightest, "No," I shifted uncomfortably and blinked— just in case. His face falls but he doesn't say anything, which means I have to continue.

"The police... they've done nothing," I rolled my eyes and tried to fake a chuckle to lighten my mood, "and uh... I tried to, like, investigate so I could find her myself, which I know is ridiculous but...," my voice cracked and I paused so I could recompose myself but the pause only allowed for more sorrow to seep through.

I could tell by the way he was looking at me that I was clearly on the verge of tears. I hated that. "I mean I did get something, but... I've been stuck—," a short sob managed to escape and I did that ugly cough/gasp thing people do when they try to talk while crying, "and... it's been 6 months, so, I think it's time I accept...," I didn't finish the sentence because I knew I was just going to embarrass myself even further.

I quickly rubbed my eyes and sniffled. I could sense that he was going to try and physically comfort me so I stood up straight and fixed my face. The only thing worse than having people see you cry is having people feel sorry for you because you're crying and try to comfort you. That only makes people cry even harder.