24. Glen Bell

Rose's Diary Entry

I've been secretly seeing someone for about a year now.

His name is Glen. Glen Bell. Finest man I've ever seen.

The Thibodeaux's made it clear to me that I should have no outside distractions but I couldn't resist! He was too smooth and handsome and funny.

So I still see him, just secretly. Almost always at night, never at the Thibodeaux's home. It's best that he stay away from that house even if I was allowed to see someone. He doesn't know where it is and I keep it that way for the sake of him ever getting bold and showing up to their doorstep.

I love him so much though, and he loves me. It took forever for him to understand my living situation and why I could never combine my work life with my personal life with him.

I do want to marry him. I'd absolutely love to no longer depend on the Thibodeaux's and go live with Glen and start a family but I cannot bring myself to abandon Harry. I love that child, too. The least I could do is stay with him until he's about 18.

I know it sounds ridiculous but you just can't even begin to understand how much of a motherly love I've grown for him. Once I quit and leave that house who knows if I'd ever see him again! Meeting and falling in love with Glen definitely arose a dilemma for me.

It doesn't help that Glen pretty much hates my work and living condition. He especially doesn't understand why I just won't quit and leave with him. He's not too fond of Harry either, which I don't understand.

The other night, I met him at the small park not too far out. It's hardly a park. Just a medium sized patch of grass with a couple of old picnic tables.

He sat on the table and I sat on the bench in between his legs as we drank the sangria he brought and laughed about nothing.

"How is the kid?" Glen asked me before pulling a cigarette between his lips.

"Good," I started to calm my laughter but kept my smile, "he's doing really good. This morning I woke up to him trying to scare me. He had on a clown mask and everything. Just... hovering over me," I laughed.

He started to laugh as well, "My, my, my. You babysit one creepy kid, you know that right?" His laughter came to a stop, "I mean really, you tell me all these stories about him and half of them are so strange. You tell them like they're nothing though," he looked at me and his expression softened when he noticed that I was greatly offended.

"Don't talk that way about him, okay?" I was now turned and looking back up at him, "he's not creepy or strange."

"Rose, come on—,"

"He's not! And I'm not just a babysitter. He's just... he's not," I defended him. I blinked at Glen and he exhaled.

"Alright," he turned me back around so he could massage my shoulders, "I'm sorry," he apologized.

He's not sorry. Just sorry that I was offended. He says little rude things about Harry often and every time I scold him about it.

Harry is different, I know. But he's just a kid. No adult should ever pick on a kid.

I try to convince him all the time how great and sweet Harry is but he's always emphasizing how much he's skeptical of him.

It just sucks to have the man you love not see the good in the little boy you practically see as your own.