18. Fruits, Sandwiches and Lemonade

"My grandma and your grandma were sittin' by the fire.
My grandma told your grandma, 'I'm gonna set your flag on fire'
Talkin' 'bout hey now, hey now. Iko, Iko, anday. Jocomo fee no andan day, jocomo fee nan nay," Harry and I playfully sung in unison. Our singing was interrupted by giggles that we just couldn't hold back any longer.

Harry brought me out to the lake today. He says it's one of his favorite places. Walking through the woods gave me horrible flashbacks from when I was dragged through them but I kept trying to push the thoughts away in order to keep a brave, happy face.

We hung out on this deck that had a walkway from the ground to the main deck area about 20 yards into the water. Harry brought a big white sheet/blanket for us to sit on and he brought some fruits, sandwiches and lemonade for us to snack on.

I lied on my back across the sheet and looked out at the lake. It wasn't one of those huge ones that seemed to be never ending, you could clearly see the trees on the other side.

I could see why this was his favorite place. It was so pretty and peaceful. As I stared at all the open space, the clouds and trees, I felt that feeling of freedom I get when I take showers— but better.

"I missed coming out here with you," he broke the silence. I turned my head to look at him and held up a hand to block the sun. The screwed up face I made from facing the sun made him look down at me and chuckle.

He was sitting criss cross just a couple feet away from me. He had a small twig in his hands that he fiddled and drew invisible pictures with on the wooded deck.

A big cloud floated by and blocked the sun so I wouldn't have to hold my hand up anymore. Now I could see him better.

He was looking at the water with a pressed, dimpled smile on his face that he got from recalling old memories. His eyes trailed back to me and I smiled at him, which made his grow just a little larger.

"We've got a lot of great memories out here," he said and I propped myself up on my elbows. I just hummed. I want to know some of the stories but I didn't know how to ask without breaking character.

I also wanted to tell him about how I've been seeing Rose in some of my dreams but that would be even harder to explain.

"Remember when you were trying to teach me how to swim? It took forever because I was so terrified. And that time we made a camp sight just at the end of the walkway but I got scared by the time the sun went down so we had to go back to the house," He pursed his lips to hide the embarrassed smile.

"Lotta those good memories end with you being a scaredy-cat?" I asked but made it sound more like a statement. He squinted at me and playfully slapped my arm with the twig.

He's in a really good mood, which works out great in my favor. I feel a little safer around him when he has a goofy smile on his face. The fact that he not only trusted me to come back outside but to go all the way to this lake with him was also a good sign.

I lied back down and turned to face the scenery again. When I did so I could feel him lightly tugging at small strands of my hair just so he could let them go and watch them bounce back to its original curl. I jumped a little when I felt his cold finger brush my face but relaxed when I realized he was just pulling my hair out and away from it.

We quietly stayed like that for a good 15 minutes. He was fiddling with my hair and I was sporadically relaxing my eyes and nearly dozing off. It was no help that the sun was starting to set.

I exhaled deeply and closed my eyes once more. When I opened them again, my attention was fixed on some movement I thought I saw in the woods.

I narrowed my eyes and waited for whatever it was to move again before I could react.

Then, I noticed the bottom of a dress and hair just like mines blowing from behind one of the trees just perpendicular to us.

Moments later I saw someone step from behind the tree— just walking. Not actually acknowledging us. I gasped quietly and blinked really hard.

When I opened my eyes, the person was now facing us. It was Rose.

Just as Harry started to ask me if I was sleepy I sat straight up with a louder gasp. He noticed the mortified look on my face and immediately became concerned.

I rushed to stand up and Harry did the same, "Hey what's wrong?" He grabbed my shoulders when I tried to push past him. He studied my face as I just stood there speechless, gasping and afraid.

"Hey," He shook me a little to snap me out of it. I looked back into the woods where Rose was standing but she wasn't there anymore. Not knowing where she went only scared me even more.

I started to cry a little and continued to try and push past him or push him so we could both start walking. "Hey!" He shook me a little harder. He cupped my face with both hands and I flinched because I thought he was going to slap me.

"What? What is it?!" He looked me in the eye, completely confused and taken back by my sudden outburst.

"I saw R—," I started to shout but stopped before I said her name.

He drew in his brows and asked, "What? What did you see?"

I stared at him with my mouth agape and tried to figure out how I was going to answer him. He shook me again and the tone of his voice scared me just a little, "Tell me," he demanded.

"I saw... me," I looked at him hoping that answer satisfied him and that he understood what I meant.

He did not. He looked at me as if I just spoke in a different language, "you saw... yourself?" He asked in a way that made what I said sound stupid.

"Can we go, please," I begged him. I felt a teardrop stream down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. He gave me an 'are you sure?' look.

I nodded, "I'm okay, let's just go. I'm tired," I sniffled.

He gave me one last questioning look before he nodded, "Okay, we'll go."

We picked up the blanket and the basket we had before he grabbed my hand and walked me back to the house with no further questioning.

I think... I might actually be going crazy.

Wow guess who is going home for Thanksgiving break tomorrow. No class = more time to write ;) (as if I was slacking in the first place)

Also the song they were singing in the beginning is "Iko Iko" by The Dixie Cups. I don't know how I know that song but somehow I've known it like my entire life? I thought it was in my imagination until I heard it in a movie recently