33. Do You Not Love Me Anymore?

TW//

14 years ago:

Rose had a hand over her flat, but pregnant stomach as she sat on the edge of her bed, scared out of her mind.

It was a little after midnight. Harry and Manon had gone to bed but Mr. Thibodeaux was most likely still up, reading in the library.

She'd be leaving any minute now. She had called Glen and very briefly told him to meet her in the park and that it was urgent. She didn't have time to explain why because she feared Mr. Thibodeaux would hear her. And it wasn't him that she feared. If it was just him in the house, she would've been able to openly leave without a fight. It was both Manon and Harry that she was scared to be caught by. Surely, Mr. Thibodeaux would inform, who he thought was his wife, of her departure.

Rose didn't pack much. She didn't have a bag larger than a purse to do so. In the biggest sack purse she had, she packed photos, a couple books, a folded up dress (so she'd at least a change of clothes), a hairbrush and the pearl jewelry she'd been given.

She stood from the bed and pulled on the cross-body purse. She gripped onto the strap as she walked slowly to the bedroom door. Her breath was shaky and she felt more scared than she thought she would. She was leaving behind what had practically been her entire life.

She stepped out of the bedroom door and very carefully, crept down the first set of stairs and made it to the floor Harry's bedroom was on.

She could feel her heart nearly ready to burst out of her chest as she tried to creep even quieter to the second set of steps. When she passed his room, she held her breath and prayed to god the floorboards wouldn't creak. She could see the TV light flickering through the bottom of his closed door. She didn't know whether he was awake or had just fallen asleep with the TV on.

She was so scared, she didn't even notice a tear had streamed down her cheek.

To her dismay, when she took the first step down the stairs, the wood creaked. She froze and gasped almost inaudibly. She whipped her head around to watch Harry's door and prayed that it didn't open.

She waited a few seconds before continuing down the steps. The closer she got to the bottom, the harder her heart thumped. When she reached the bottom, she felt light. Like a literal weight was lifted off her shoulders.

Immediately, she began jogging on her tip toes through the house. Mr. Thibodeaux was still in the library with a dim light on.

She swiftly made her way through the house and when she spotted the front door, her face lit up with glee. She lightly ran toward it. She could almost smell the freedom.

Just as she was only a few feet away, someone appeared in front of her. Her chest collided with theirs and she gasped. Without even knowing who it was, she felt like the world had started crumbling down around her.

She kept her head down, afraid to look up and see who it was. She could see the body, though. It was the body of the person she recognized the most. Honestly, she would've been able to recognize him by his aura at this point.

She slowly looked up and met the green eyes of the boy who she'd been afraid of. He didn't look angry, just confused. Still, she cowered under him.

They stood in front of each other quietly. Rose's eyes began to water quickly and before she knew it, tears were streaming. Harry just looked at her, confused. His eyes trailed from her clouded ones, down her body. He spotted the stuffed bag that she was gripping and immediately put the pieces together.

Still, he wasn't angry. He looked hurt. He looked back into her eyes before she lowered them.

"Wh-what?" He gasped in disbelief. She didn't say anything. She finally made a noise by sniffling and whimpering very quietly.