34. Fuck the Police

Glen stood in Diana's home office with his hands in his pockets, overwhelmed but still confused about all the stuff he saw on the pin board she pulled out.

"Diana...," he looked at her as if something was wrong with her, "what's going on with all of this?"

Diana came from around the back of her desk with sticky notes and a pen.

"I told you, I put together my own investigation," she stood next to him and they stared at the pin board together. Glen looked at all the pictures of women he didn't recognize and Kim. 7 pictures in total. There were tags and sticky notes all over the board along with printed articles.

"Diana," Glen shook his head, overwhelmed by whatever it was he was looking at, "I'm going to need you to explain."

"Right," she said and walked over to the board, "I brought you here because of your story about Rose. You said some things that just sounded familiar and I need your help."

"O...Kay?" He had a hard time breaking his gaze from the board.

"I also need you to kind of brace yourself for what I'm about to insinuate," she warned him and looked at him with sympathetic eyes. He blinked at her before nodding.

"You said you don't know what happened to Rose,"

"Correct."

"Well... this is going to sound horrible to assume, especially if I'm wrong, but... I don't think she left or just disappeared. She might have been murdered," she said carefully and looked at him, waiting for a reaction.

All of his facial muscles twitched as he speechlessly looked at Diana. His eyes didn't blink for at least 20 seconds before he took a deep breath and shoved his hands back and deeper into his pockets.

"Uh...," Diana stuttered quietly.

He huffed, "wow," was all he said.

"Did... the thought never cross your mind? The possibility of her being dead?"

"It did, I tried not to think about that. It's just... hearing it out loud... makes the possibility seem more likely," he said sadly.

"I'm sorry."

"So... you gonna explain all this to me?" He changed the subject a little.

"Right!" Diana started, "So you said Rose had a burn on her back? And that she was sexuality assaulted— well, had the bruises of someone who was being abused, right?"

"Yeah," he took a seat.

"Okay. So as you know, my best friend was not-so-recently taken. Coincidentally, there had been two stories from a little while ago of these other girls that had been kidnapped... and eventually killed. Their bodies were found in like... woods and grass fields."

Glen looked at her seriously, trying to follow her.

"Immediately, I had assumed that this was done by the same person. And I just knew, like in my gut that it was the same person that took Kim. Anyways, both of these girls," she pointed at two pictures, "Noelle Thomas, 22, she was found in the woods. Poorly buried under the mulch. She had been burned on her upper back, sexually assaulted and had her brains practically bashed in. Kiana Rhodes, just under 18, was found later on. She was found in this, like, remote grass field. Burned, raped, beat to death. They both had been missing for a little while before being found dead. Look, I'm not a crime expert or anything, but would it take one to realize that these two murders could've very likely been done by the same person?!"

"It wouldn't. Police haven't made these connections?"

"Fuck the police," Diana said harshly and Glen chuckled. His responses took her by surprise. He's the first person that took her seriously when she spoke about all this.