Chapter 22: Connecting bridges

⪼ S A P P H I R E

Wesley remains a big mystery to me, so does Trevor. They are our seniors, mas maaga silang pumasok rito sa Academy, a year early. They are also working on Infernio Organzation kung saan under itong institution. Dahil do'n, alam kong mas marami silang alam kaysa sa amin.

I stroked my hair in frustration. I'm like a cat getting hit by curiosity.

My skin glistened under the morning sunlight as I wore my swimsuit. A few strands of my hair fell on my nape because I tied my hair too high. I heard the rustle of the bushes and trees, and it gives off a calming vibe. The wind blew and I felt peace, though I felt a linger of fear because of one thing. Water.

But I needed this. 

I skipped classes today and maybe I'll show up late on the training hall. I badly need self assessment. I want to know if there's any improvement regarding my fears. Here in Infernio Academy, it is important to face your faces because Mr. President said fears holds us back, and he's clearly right. There are so many things I've missed, and there are so many things I neglect because of my fears. And that fear creates another fear, and another one, and another until I feel like I was caged.

I took a deep breath and positioned. I was about to jump on the pool but someone just interrupted me. 

The hell?!

"You're gonna swim in the middle of our punishment? Really?" Freaking Silver Inferno. What is he doing here?! 

"Shut up. It's more than that." Great, nasira na ang mood ko. Nawala na rin lahat ng lakas ng loob na inipon ko kanina. "Look, Silver. I'm in the middle of facing my biggest fear, but you just interrupted me." 

"Why here? Ang init oh." Silver squinted his eyes and it looks like he got it closed since he's very chinito. His thin white shirt raised a bit because of the wind so I caught a glimpse of the tattoo on his waist since his drawstrings short were hanging low. I didn't know he got a tattoo there.

"Indoor pool will haunt me forever." I chuckled bitterly. I suddenly remember that I'm only wearing a two-piece so I quickly grab a towel, wrapping myself. Natigilan si Silver sa paglalakad dahil doon.

"Wala rin naman akong makikita." This is the reason why I call him jerk sometimes.

"Alam mo? Bihira ka lang magsalita." I said and he raised a brow that asks so? "But when you do, it's really offensive." 

"I speak a little, but I only speak the truth." Huminto siya sa tabi ko at tumitig sa akin. "If my words hits, it means that's the thing I noticed just now. If my words hits hard, it means I held it back for so long." I suddenly remembered out argument last night. What he said hits hard and bothered me so it means...

"You know, I'm not going to say sorry about yesterday since I really meant what I said. But still, something inside me makes me want to apologize because I know somehow my words bothers you." Nababasa niya ba ako? Sinasabi niya kung ano ang nararamdaman ko.

"I don't hate you, Sapphire." Why is he saying this all of a sudden? "That's why I want you to go on the right way."

Silence fell between us and I felt really awkward and tensed? I don't know what I'm feeling right now. 

He seemed to notice that so he cracked a small smile that I've never seen before. No one smiled at me like that except for kids. When I went to the orphanage with my mom to pick up Caspien, almost all the kids there greeted me and until now I could still picture out their wide smiles and sparkling eyes when they saw me greeting them back. Mom said they like me.