I Could Damn Well Ask You The Same Thing!

Danielle's POV

We'd gone back to the school grounds yesterday but school didnt start for another 3days. We'd done all our washing and ironing and homework the day we got back.

Today was going to be our chill day but I had made an appointment with the ultrasound person. It was at 11 and the girls were all awake. I decided to tell them I was going to chemist to get some more paracetamol and cough sweets. They all nodded and bought it.

I got dressed, wearing my Alice Cooper concert T-Shirt, my black ripped jeans, some black pumps and a brown leather jacket. I grabbed my black shoulder bag and shoved my phone, purse, appointment letters and mascara in it. I headed for the door when Kylie asked,

"Would you be going to shop as well?"

"Dunno, maybe why?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Could you grab is some ice cream and coke please?" she asked sweetly.

"Oh, could I also have some ben and jerry's if you dont mind Dani?" Emma said, popping her head out from the bathroom.

"Sure, anyone want anything else?" I asked. "Okay, I'll be back in about an hour, two tops!" I said. They all nodded and I left.

I caught the bus into town and I walked towards the hospital. Once I got to the main desk I said,

"Hi, I'm Danielle Asquith, I have an appointment with the ultrasound technician." I said.

"Letter?" the receptionist said, bitterly.

I handed her the letter and she snatched it out of my grasp.

"It's room 4K on floor 4!" she snapped.

"Okay thanks," I said taking back my letter.

I waited for the lift and I jumped in. Once I was on the fourth floor I got out and headed down the corridor. I headed to the main desk on that floor.

Hi, I'm Danielle Asquith, I have an appointment," I said, bleakly this time.

"Okay, room 4K and Dr. Carter will see you straight away," she said nicely.

I walked to room 4K and knocked on the door politely.

"Come in." she said and I screamed yes in my head. I really wanted a female doctor because that way I would feel more comfortable.

I walked into the room and sat down opposite the doctor.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Allison Carter. I'm going to be present during your ultrasound sound although I won't be performing it."

"Okay, I'm Dani. Thanks for this."

"Not at all, its my pleasure!" she said enthusiastically.

A nurse came in with a trolley with some computer-y stuff and I lied down on the bed/seat thing.

"Now, I'm sure you know the drill!" the nurse said.

I nodded and pulled up my shirt, she squeezed some of the gel onto the transducer (stick thingy) and rubbed it on my stomach. It was could and it hurt slightly but not much. She looked at the screen and then focused in on it.

"Dr. Carter." she said as she nodded toward the screen.

Doctor Carter walked round to the monitor. She took the transducer off of the nurse and focused it on one spot. She fiddled around with some of the buttons.

"What is it?" I said, now panicking. "Please, tell me!" I begged.

"I'm so sorry to tell you, but your baby has nuchal translucency which is an increase of akin behind the neck. This is usually an indicator that the baby has Down Syndrome. It doesn't necessarily mean the baby does, it can just sometimes be an indicator. Now then, there's a test you can have whilst pregnant which can give a far more accurate, but not definite, diagnosis. I have to warn you this test has high risks to the baby."

"Oh my god! I think I'm going to be sick!"

"I know. I'm so sorry for this!" she said sympathetically.

"I can't believe it! I mean, I'm still going to love it just as much and treat it the same, if not better. I have a disabled brother so I am not the type to disown a child because of their difficulties."

"No, and no matter what, no one will judge you!"

"I don't want the test," I decided. "If it could cause harm to my baby then I dont want it. Only time will tell if my baby had Down Syndrome." I said as I.wiped the gel off of my stomach.

"Understandable."

"Do you mind if I go to the toilets, I'll be back soon," I asked.

"Of course!" Doctor Carter said and I ran out the room. My eyes were now flooding with tears. I ran into the toilets and bumped into someone else who was also crying. I looked up and saw Rachelle.

"What are you doing here?!?!?" I questions, shocked and curious.

"I could damn well ask you the same thing!" she said in reply, wiping a tear.