Second Chances

Written for OQ Fix It Fic Week Day 6: Roni Day

Uses the following suggested prompt: Roni gives a homeless person (AKA Robin) a job in her bar

She discovered him sleeping in his car in the alley when she went to throw out her garbage one chilly Seattle morning. It was a beat-up piece of crap she believed was once green but now covered in dirt and mud. A person's whole life appeared crammed into it—pillows, blankets, clothes, knick-knacks—and sleeping in the middle of it all, a man about her age. He had matted blond hair and a matching beard. She couldn't see much more as he had wrapped his blanket around him like a cocoon to stay warm.

He wasn't the first homeless person she had encountered living in Hyperion Heights and she tried to help out those she could with a dollar here or there, but he was the first one she felt really drawn to help. It almost felt like they were meant to meet and she was supposed to give him a second chance.

Not that Roni would ever admit it out loud. She didn't believe in things like fate or that spiritual junk.

But she tapped on the window, startling the man awake. He blinked open beautiful blue eyes and she almost felt like she had once drowned in them before. She shook the feeling off as she motioned for him to roll down the window so they could talk.

He sighed, leaning over to lower the window and immediately launched into a spiel he must've been used to giving. "Sorry. I'll move the car so I won't be your way anymore. Just give me a couple minutes."

Roni was surprised to hear him speak with a British accent and wondered what brought him to Seattle. But she figured she'll find that out in good time. For now, she had something else to ask him: "Do you need a job?"

"What?" he asked, blinking in confusion. He then stared up at her, making her fidget.

She barreled on, hoping she wasn't making a fool of herself. "My custodian quit on me the other night and I could use with someone who can help me keep the place clean. The pay won't be so great and I can't offer you benefits, but I can give you a lot of hours to come up with something resembling a decent paycheck. If you want it."

He stared at her. "Really? You would just hire me like that?"

"Consider me desperate," she said, trying to play it cool. "So, you want it or not?"

"Yes, yes. Thank you," he replied, gratitude and relief in his eyes. "I also have my own tools in here so I won't need those. And I promise I'm legal. I can work in the States."

He then held out his hand to her. "I'm Rex, by the way."

"Rex?" she asked with a snort, unable to help herself. "Isn't that a dog's name?"

"I had strange parents, what can I say?" He shrugged before giving her a little smirk. "I trust that won't keep you from hiring me now."

She shrugged as well. "I guess there are worst names to have."

"And may I ask who I am working for?" he asked, eyes sparkling as he looked up at her.

"Roni," she said, finally shaking his hand. "Named the bar after me, so you'll be able to find it. I'll see you at three?"

He nodded. "I'll be there. And Roni? Thank you."

"No, thank you. Really saving my life here." She gave him a wink with both eyes while stepping away from his car to head back inside as she ignored the way her heart wanted to beat right out of her chest.