Caught

“Caught” 

            “It boggles me that my black knights were unable to catch you, Thief. It seems quite easy to do.”

            “Well, the same could be said of the Evil Queen.” 

            Regina rolled her eyes as she shifted in the seat she was tied to. “If you had let me use my magic like I wanted…” 

            “We’d have been caught sooner. I told you this.” Robin glared at her. “If you had just done what I had told you…” 

            “You are not going to blame this on me!” Regina snapped. 

            It was Robin’s turn to roll his eyes. “Well, this isn’t my fault either.” 

            “Will you two be quiet? Lawd, I never heard two souls who argued more.” The old, blind black woman watched them from a corner of her shanty, a yellow boa constrictor wrapped around her neck. It seemed as amused as the woman. 

            Regina narrowed her eyes while Robin chose to reason with the woman. “Mama Odie, we’re sorry. We shouldn’t have broken in.” 

            “No, you shouldn’t have. You could’ve just knocked! Doors open when you’re polite, you know. And I could’ve had some of my famous gumbo ready for y’all.” 

            “Gumbo?” Robin’s nose scrunched in confusion. 

            Regina resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “While I would love to try some of your gumbo, now that we’ve been caught, we need your help.” 

            She felt Robin stare at her but she kept her focus on Mama Odie. “You’re a well-known Witch Doctor.” 

            “I don’t like that title any more than I reckon you like being called the Evil Queen.” Mama Odie pointed at Regina. Her golden bangles clanged as they hit each other. “But I can help. Tell Mama Odie what’s wrong.” 

            Regina shot a look at Robin, who did his best to shrug. She turned back to Mama Odie. “Are you familiar with voodoo?” 

            Mama Odie laughed. “You know the answer, child. That’s why you’re here.” 

            “I am not a child,” Regina said, teeth clenched together. 

            “Of course not. But when you as old as me, everyone is a child.” Mama Odie pushed her face closer to Regina’s. “Now, you gonna keep stalling or tell me what’s wrong?” 

            “It’s my sister. Well, my half-sister. She’s out to destroy me.” 

            Mama Odie rubbed her chin. “So’s you want a curse to place on her?” 

            “No, I can do that all on my own,” Regina snapped back. 

            Robin leaned forward. “Mama Odie, we don’t need a spell. We have reason to believe you are in possession of a jewel that will help us.” 

            “Oh? And what jewel is that?” 

            Robin and Regina glanced at each other. This was a waste a time, just as she told Snow and Charming. Her fingers itched with her magic. She could just magic her way out of here and back to the palace, leaving the outlaw to figure his own way out. But she had promised Roland she would bring his father back safe. She was not going to fail another little boy. They were going to have to get out of this together. 

            “Mama Odie, I believe you know what jewel we’re talking about,” Robin said. He had that aggravating grin he wore whenever he was certain of something. The one she always wanted to kiss off… 

            Where did that come from? 

            Mama Odie smiled. “You do? Well, I’m an old woman and my memory ain’t what it used to be. Describe it for me.” 

            “Why are we playing stupid games? We don’t have time to waste.” Regina didn’t hide her annoyance. She didn’t care at this point. All she wanted was to get out of there. Now. 

            Robin didn’t share her feelings. “It would look like a giant emerald. We have reason to believe someone left to you as payment a few months back.” 

            “I’m afraid someone gave you bad information. No one ever gave me such a jewel.” Mama Odie shook her head. “Sorry you came all this way for nothing.” 

            “Then could you at least let us go?” Regina asked. She struggled against her binding for emphasis. 

            Mama Odie laughed. “Oh, sorry. I forgot they was there.” 

            With a snap of her fingers, the ropes disappeared. Regina rubbed her upper arms as circulation returned in them. Jumping from his chair, Robin crouched in front of her. “Are you hurt, milady?” 

            “I’m fine. You don’t need to coddle me.” She pushed Robin away and stood up. As she walked away, she tried to ignore the feeling he was watching her. 

            Regina approached Mama Odie. “Well, I’d thank you but there isn’t much to thank you for. So we’ll be going.” 

            “Regina, don’t be so rude,” Robin chided. “Perhaps we could stay a little bit.” 

            “Doing what? And it’s Your Majesty. Good Lord, Thief, how many times do I have to say it?” Regina snapped. Robin didn’t seem phased. 

            Mama Odie laughed. “You may not have found what you was looking for, but you may finally find what you refuse to see.” 

            “What?” Regina shook her head. “Never mind. I have no time for your riddles. Come, Thief. We need to get going. You have a son to return to.” 

            Robin nodded before bowing to Mama Odie. “Thank you, ma’am, for your assistance.” 

            The two left and Mama Odie continued to listen as they bickered all the way out of the bayou. She chuckled to herself before addressing the snake wrapping around her body. “They in so deep but they can’t see it. Not yet. But they will. And it’s gonna be good!”