23. Face to Face

"Hey what was that about?" Jamie said.

"I can't play Thursday so yea" I said going into the shower. After I was out I just laid in bed. The next day I was not feeling class and I was not feeling practice. I stayed in my bed just heartbroken. Jamie came back around noon.

"Hey want to go get lunch?" she said and I ignore her. "Or I can bring you lunch?" she said and I didn't say anything. I wasn't in the mood for anything and anyone. When Thursday came around I decided to take the day for myself again and stayed in my dorm all day. When Friday rolled around it was time to get up and get going. I honestly couldn't stop thinking about Derek, how could he do this? This was so low. At lunch, Trevor, Jamie and I all sat in the student union.

"You coming to my game right?" Trevor said and I look up at him.

"Yea of course" I said trying to smile at him.

"You don't have to if you don't want to" he said.

"No, I'm fine, you guys are going to win" I said and he smiles. "Umm.... the girls last night, did they?" I asked.

"Yea they won" Jamie said.

"Good" I said drinking my water. I decided to skip basketball practice another day because I wasn't ready to face him but he was so ready to talk to me. At the game coach was standing by the entrance when he saw me.

"Shit" I heard Jamie say then I realize he was coming over to us.

"Ladies" he said.

"Asshole" Jamie said under her breath. He clears his throat and acts like he didn't hear her.

"Vanessa can we talk, please" he said.

"Uhh..." Jamie said. I shake my head no.

"Vanessa please. Let me explain" he said. I look up at him and he was staring at me. I look over and Jamie rolled her eyes.

"I'll save you a seat" she said walking in. Derek and I walk to the back entrance where no one was coming in. I crossed my arms and looked down.

"You can't even look at me" he said then he lets out a sigh. "You can't be missing practice Vanessa" he said.

"Well I did, kick me off the team then" I said looking at him and he rubs his chin.

"I'm sorry Nessa. The whole Hillary thing wasn't supposed to happen" he said and that's when I felt a tear drop.

"You used me. And I honestly thought we were getting somewhere and I was basically the side chick" I said.

"No not at all" he said touching my arm and I step back.

"Don't touch me Derek" I said wiping my tears.

"Hillary and I broke up, well at least I thought we did. She wanted to go to Paris to shoot this nude cover and stuff and I told her I didn't want her to. We got into this huge fight and she told me I didn't support her dreams and she broke up with me. I said fine we are over and there was that" he said putting his hands and his pocket. "I didn't use you I swear. Vanessa, I really liked you" he said. Liked?

"She kissed you in the locker room" I said and he shakes her head.

"It took me by surprise too, I thought we broke up!"

"And the wedding ring?" I said and he stares at me.

"I've been debating with myself to propose to her. I saw it the other day and I was mad because I really love her" he said. Love?

"So what are you guys now?" I said. He looks at me and shakes his head.

"Vanessa...I've been dating her for a very long time. She's my girlfriend" he says. A tear dropped and I shake my head. "God please don't cry" he said touching my face. I turn around and walked into the gymnasium. Trevor sees me and jogs over to me.

"Hey" he said and I look down. He lifts my head and I look at him. "What's wrong?" he says wiping my tears and I laugh.

"Nothing, I'm fine Trevor, really. Good luck out there kid" I said smiling and he smirks. I scan the crowd until I found Jamie and went to sit by her. It was a good game and they won by 8. We congratulated the boys then Jamie and I went back to our dorm. Trevor was going to stop and get pizza and bring it by after his shower. "I think I'm going to go for a run" I said changing into some knee crop leggings and a neon jacket.

"Now? Vanessa it's really late, really dark and really cold" Jamie said.

"I haven't ran in forever. Need to get backto it and besides I need to clear my head" I said and she stares at me. "Chill dude, I'll be back soon" I said leaving.