6. Mistake

Then the game started. After 1st quarter ended the guys were up by three.

"We are going to rotate Harrison in for Felicity, Tina in for Jackie and Mary in for Natalie. Heather, Bianca do you ladies need a break?" he asked.

"We're good coach" Heather said drinking her water.

"Alright ladies, come on, I really don't want to buy them pizza this weekend" he said and we laugh. We stand up and started walking to the court.

"Don't get use to how nice he's being. He's mean when we have games, like he's literally the devil when we play games" Heather said.

"And she ain't lying" Bianca said and they started laughing while jogging back to their positions. I look back at Coach and his arms were folded looking at me. Trevor passed me the ball and I stood on the sideline.

"Trevor why don't you take her" the other coach said.

"Umm, actually let's have Eric and Vanessa up against each other, how about that?" Coach West said.

"Scared of my point guard?" Coach Iles said. I look back at Coach West and he took a deep breath.

"No, she can take him, I was just looking out for Trevor" Coach West said and all the girls started laughing. I look at Trevor and he stands in front of me. He stares at me then begins to block me. "Go!" Coach West yells and we start the game. I maneuvered my way around not only Trevor but the other plays too and scored a layup in the first few seconds.

"Kick ass Harrison" Heather said hitting my ass.

"Trevor, what the hell?" Nathan yells in Trevor's face.

"Shut up man" Trevor said pushing Nathan away and we played again. After 2nd quarter ends the guys were still up and this time by 5. I was proud of my team, we are really good especially playing against a men's team.

"We are switching everyone out again" Coach said and I drank my water. "You ladies are doing alright, could do better but it's your first scrimmage" he said and we ran through a few more plays. I sat by Coach again and the game started. "He's catching on that you are very strong on your right side. They probably know that's what you are going to start using and make a block up there" Coach said looking at me.

"What do I do?" I asked.

"Trick them up and use your left, if you can't get over there, pass it off, but do not go to your right. You need to fake them out. I'll put you in 4th quarter and that's when you use your right again. Throws them off"

"Okay" I said drinking more of my water. Coach grabs my water and sets it down.

"You can't drink so much water before you go back out there. It'll give you cramps. Take a squirt, swish it in your mouth and take deep breaths" he said staring at me. I wipe my lip with my thumb and he stares at me do it then looks down. 

In the middle of 3rd we switched off and I was put in again and did exactly what coach told me. I stayed on my left and that was my weakest side but it was better for them not to know. I started passing it off a lot more just because going to the left was tough. After 3rd quarter ended, we jogged back to coach and I took a sip of my water and set it down. We were now up by two. "You ladies are looking a little better, your defense is weak thou, step up your game and put your asses in their guts" he said and they went back out there and I sat next to coach. "Gotta bring it home Harrison" he said looking at me.

"We will" I said smiling. He stares at me then looks away. When it was my time to go in, we had to win. It was down on 10 seconds, girls were leading by one and I had the ball going down court. I pass the ball to Heather and she keeps it on her right so I can cross left. I placed my feet down and waited for Heather to pass me the ball when suddenly I was knocked down.

"Dude!" I heard Trevor yells. I look up to see Eric and he was smirking at me.

"That's such a foul" Heather said coming up to Eric and pushing him.

"Heather!" I heard Coach West yell and he walks over to us. Bianca helps me up and I look at Trevor.

"What's your problem Eric?" Trevor said.

"I accidentally knocked her down" Eric says.

"Eric go take a seat" Coach Iles demanded. Eric shakes his head and walks away back to their side.

"You okay?" Bianca asked me.

"Yea, I'm fine" I said.

"One foul shot Harrison" Coach West said handing me the ball.

"You got this" Heather says and they walk off court. I stand on the foul line and got in my position. I stand there staring at the hoop, I bounced the ball three times then got in formation, then shot it. The ball rolls around the rim but it goes in and we won. The girls yell and came to high-five me. "I knew I'll like you" Heather said and I smile. I look over to see both coaches smiling talking to each other.

"Alright, ladies, you won fair and square, we will buy the pizza and will see you Saturday" Coach Iles said and we laugh. "Now you guys get your sorry asses back to the other gym" Coach Iles shouted to the guys and they walk away.

"Good job today ladies, practice is over, I'll see you tomorrow" he said starting to walk away.

"That's it?" I said and everyone got quiet and Coach turned to look at me. "That's all you have to say to us is good job and see you tomorrow?"

"Harrison..." Heather said.

"Well what do you want me to say Harrison? Want me to give you a treat and rub your head?" he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Stop referring us back to dogs, that's no way to talk to your female players" I said.

"Vanessa if you don't like the way I'm running MY team you can leave. No one is telling you to stay" he said and I stare at him. "This is college ball, I don't have to up your spirit when you win, you're supposed to win" he said staring at me. I bit my lip staring at him, he shakes his head and walks away towards his office. Everyone waits till he's in his office before they start to chatter again.

"Damn, you made a foul shot, you didn't become president" Heather said.

"You can't talk to him like that Harrison" Bianca said and they stare at me then walk away.

"So I'm the bad guy for saying what you all were thinking?" I said and they stopped and looked at me.

"First of all little girl I don't know who you are talking to like that. Yes Coach is an ass but we can tolerate him and it is a privilege to be on the team. So shut the fuck up and enjoy the season" Heather said in my face.

"Heather let's go" Felicity said pushing Heather away from me. I stare at the girls then turned around to look at the hoop. This was definitely not high school ball. I leave the gym and walked to the locker room. I changed into my sweats and jacket and headed out. I stop at the gym and decided to go and talk to coach. I get to his office door and he was leaning on his desk talking to the assistant coach but makes eye contact with me.

"Can I talk to you coach?" I said and he stares at me. The assistant coach smiles at me then leaves and I look back at Derek. "I'm sorry for talking back and I know you don't like apologies but I honestly shouldn't have talked to you the way I did"

"You're fine Harrison, don't let it happen again" he said staring at me. I drop my head then turned around and just when I was about to leave I shut his door closed and turned around. "Is there something else?"

"You act like yesterday didn't happen" I said and he stands up straight.

"Vanessa....."

"You wouldn't have kissed me if you didn't like me" I blurted out.

"I was wrong to do that and I'm sorry" he said and I stare at him. "It was a mistake that won't happen again. I should have never done that and I'm so sorry" I chuckle then shake my head.

"Yea... me too" I said leaving and walking back to my dorm. I took a shower then sat at my desk to work on my homework. I replayed what coach said, how he should have never done kissed me. I mean, come on. I get it, he's my coach, but damn.