Chapter 32.

An update finally. I could say a lot of things about why I did not update and blah blah but there are no excuses while it comes to continuing my story, just apologies and a promise to update whenever I can.

Thank you @Lindaf69 for supporting me through the story, hanging in there while I couldn't update and also reminding me that an update is long overdue. Much love ❤️

It had to be here somewhere. He thought.

There had to be something that can prove his suspicions right. His heart beat erratically in his chest as he rummaged through the room. The sun was already up in the sky when he arrived, clueless that there was security around. He found himself lucky when he realised that the door was unlocked and the house was empty. He knew there was less time before Emily finds him.

His eyes widened as he caught sight of Jack's childhood photo in the bedside drawer. He removed the photo from the drawer and looked at it closely. He could not recognise the other boy in the photo.

He was about to put the photo back inside when he felt something uneven at the back. He immediately turned it over and found a piece of paper attached to it. He eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he read the words.

"Brian?"

Startled, the photo fell from his hands. He whirled around to face the intruder with wide eyes. Jack was surprised to find out that the person who broke into Emily's house was none other than Brian. He was even more surprised to see Brian's wide eyes full of triumph instead of panic.

"You wouldn't believe if I told you what I found." Brian said grinning.

Jack raised an eyebrow looking at him expectantly.

He picked up the photograph and handed it to Jack as he rocked back and forth on his heels with excitement.

Jack stiffened as he saw the photograph.

"Where did you find this?" He asked through gritted teeth.

Brian stopped moving and just pointed at the drawer.

Jack closed his eyes and muttered a string of curses before he breathed deeply to pull himself together.

"Is this it?" He asked quietly.

Brian shook his head. "Turn it over."

Jack did as he said and found the note.

'This is it. I didn't find anything else.'

Jack was still contemplating the words as Brian spoke.

"Look!" Brian exclaimed. He held the diary open for Jack to see.

"Why do you still have it with you? This issue is over. Everyone knows that it was Grandpa. Just drop it."

"No Jack." He pointed at the writing. "Look. The handwriting matches. And we all know it's not Grandpa's."

This time Jack really looked at it and looked at the note again comparing the two. They did match.

"I believed Grandpa Sanders when he said that the entire plan was his idea but what about the execution? Like actually writing the diary. I knew it was not his handwriting which left me with one option; Mr. Asher. I sneaked into your dad's office and found some letters with Mr. Asher's writing on it. They were not the same. That's when I knew something was amiss. The next best option was to interrogate Emily but of course that would be like talking to a wall so here I am." Brain explained.

Jack was mulling over what he heard and Brian continued.

"This is not how Emily writes. I have seen her handwriting in school. Or maybe this is how she actually writes and has changed her writing in front of us like everything else. Now the real question is whether Emily was speaking the truth that day or not. She might not be speaking the truth which is highly likely considering her record of spewing lies."

"And if she was saying the truth then who is this?" He mumbled to himself while glancing at the note again.

* * *

How could he do this? He would have never even thought about betraying his family when they were always there for him, not until  her. There was something in her eyes that begged him to keep quiet and lie to them. She never really wore her emotions on her sleeve but at that one moment, her eyes spoke so much that she kept hidden; he was compelled to abide by her.

She was a stranger. Was it really worth it?

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"What's happening?" Skylar asked Tom while he stood up from his chair, his face livid.

"I am not sure." Even though his expression said, he knew exactly what was wrong. "I am going to find out more. Stay alert."

She nodded and clutched Trent's hand tighter. Her action brought him out of his thoughts and he finally registered the ringing of the alarm.

He sighed. He knew this would happen. They had to make sure he did not spill the beans, didn't they? It was a false alarm but of course, they can make it look as real as possible. He rolled his eyes internally.

The alarm stopped ringing after a while and then there was just silence. He could still feel his ears ringing.

"Are you okay?" Skylar asked.

His eyes flicked towards the side where there was an empty jug on a stand. There was an attached restroom right next to it, its door slightly ajar.

"Need water." He purposely rasped.

Skylar looked around and sighed when she found the jug empty. "I'll call a nurse." She stood and went to press the button that would alert a nurse.

"No." He almost shouted.

"No?" She asked confused.

"I mean it's just water. Why bother a nurse for such a petty thing? Can you bring it?" he asked sounding as pleading as possible.

Skylar shook her head and smiled at him. His heart fluttered at her smile. Probably the last smile before she starts hating him.

"I'll be right back." She pecked him on his forehead and left.

Trent's lips turned upwards when her lips touched his skin but his expression changed as soon as she was out of the door.

He got up hastily and locked the door while the man waiting in the restroom stepped inside. He turned around and glared at him, his eyes flashed in annoyance.

"I don't feel like associating with any of you right now."

Tyler sighed and looked up at the ceiling. Why did he of all people have to do the talking? He did not think he could handle Trent.

"We need to talk about whatever happened, Trent. Everything is not how it looks like and you know that."

"I don't care Mr. Asher."

Thoughts on Tyler? Was that expected? What do you think actually happened?

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy.

-DS