Chapter 7.

Monday, a day that usually gets cursed the most. After a weekend of relaxation, people aren't ready to go back to reality yet. But sadly, Monday pushes everyone to wake up early and get to work, may it be, office, kitchen or school. The groans and whines are heard in every corner of the world on a Monday morning.

However, it was a different case for Brian. Leaving for school an hour earlier, he was standing near the back entrance of the school. The road there led to the far side of the town which was pretty much some fields and barren lands here and there. Since that place was practically abandoned, he didn't have to worry about anyone interfering their rendezvous.

The crunches of leaves told him that he had company. He smirked.

"I didn't think you'd come."

"I was curious." He could practically feel her shrugging.

"Curiosity killed the cat."

"But satisfaction brought it back. Can we talk about why you called me here in this stupid forsaken place?" She snapped at him.

He turned around and smiled at her. Her blonde hair was tied up loosely in a messy bun. She had circles under her eyes, now that he knows. But she had done a good job in covering up with make-up. Her tired violet eyes – not that they were violet, he knew that since the first time he saw her – stared back at him blankly. She was hiding herself from the world, just like he was.

Now is not the time to think about it Brian. Pull yourself together. He cursed himself.

She might not know it yet, but he understood her better than anyone else.

Especially after last night.

He shook his head to get rid of the memories that started flooding in.

"Why have you called me here, Brad?" She sighed impatiently.

That name!

He really didn't want to lie about his name anymore, not after what he was going to do in the next few minutes. But this was a risk he wasn't willing to take.

"So" He said dragging the word. "You seemed to have forgotten this in class on Friday –" He fished out her calculus book from his bag " – and I stopped by at your house yesterday, later in the evening. But you were looking very peaceful in your sleep so I just decided to give it back today." He said, all the while staring at her intensely, watching her reaction carefully.

Her heart thudded in her chest as his words sank in.

He knows. How the hell did he even –

"You know, you have a habit of keeping your balcony door open. So not cool Elizabeth. Anyone can climb up to your room and sneak in." He answered her unasked question as if reading her mind.

"Here." He extended the book towards her but she was frozen on the spot. This was not what she was expecting to happen. It made her speechless.

Looking at her reaction, he smirked. He took her hand in his and placed the book on it. "Your book." He nodded his head towards the now placed object between them.

"Uh. Yeah." She stuttered.

"You should thank me." He leaned in and lowered his voice. "I did you a favour by slamming the door shut."

It's true. Elizabeth thought.

There was no one to wake her up from her nightmares anymore. She was forced to watch everything until the end. But that wasn't the case yesterday. She had woken up with a jerk when her mind had registered the slamming of a door somewhere. When she noticed the balcony door, she had just assumed it was because of the wind.

But clearly it was not even close to wind. She thought bitterly.

His eyes softened and he mumbled something under his breath.

"What?" She asked almost angrily.

He sighed deeply.

"I said, I want to help you." He said with a hint of nervousness.

Her eyes widened and she glared at him.

"I. Don't. Need. Help." She spoke her words slowly and sharply to make her point across.

He smiled softly at her.

"Maybe not right now. But remember, everybody needs help at some point of time and I'll be right here when it's yours."

"Why do you want to help me? Why do you even care?"

His face went blank. He stared at her and answered after a minute or two.

"You are not the only one who has secrets, Elizabeth."

She didn't know what to make out of that. Brad's player side, she could handle, but not this soft and mature side. This was making her uncomfortable. She never thought she would be having such a conversation with him and it amazed her. But at the same time it scared her. Someone else knew something about her that they shouldn't have and that wasn't in her control anymore. This didn't please her. Nope! Not at all.

Thoughts on Brian? What could be his secret?

Please vote and comment.

-DS