Chapter 21.

Happy Reading. Enjoy.

"On what basis are you arresting her, Jayden?" Jack seethed.

Jayden glared at him. "Her location is enough to bring her in for questioning. I would have done that to you as well, but fortunately, for you, someone tampered with my own device, just to protect you. Did you know your location and timing matched Ryan's as well as Elizabeth's? Then, it was wiped out when I showed it to Mr. Sanders and Grandpa. It matched your story. I don't know what you are up to, Jack, but you are not exactly trustworthy at the moment." He shot him his coldest glare and walked away.

Jack was totally gobsmacked. His brow furrowed.

He was being protected? By whom? And why? How someone managed to break into Jay's monitor, was beyond him. This just increased the number of questions he wanted to ask Emily. And this gave him all the more reason to stop her questioning and start his personal questioning.

He smirked.

Jayden and Brian were preparing to interrogate her when he reached the basement. There were two levels in the basement, first level of which was entirely used for interrogation. The space was partitioned with a glass wall. The ones inside the interrogation room could see the wall as a mirror, of course. Jack was standing outside the room looking at them through the glass. He knew exactly when to stop the interrogation. He just had to wait for the right time.

All the employees and the agents had gathered around and inside the building to get a glimpse of the mystery girl Elizabeth Matthews, who was being dragged inside by two agents.

She wasn't even trying to loosen the hold they had on her, which made them think that she really was guilty.

Jack did not know how she was going to answer their questions without involving him. After all, he was the one who buried the body.

Dad, grandpa and Mr. Asher were also present. He noticed that Mr. Asher had started taking a lot of interest in their affairs lately. It made him think whether he had an ulterior motive or not.

Emily leaned against the chair she was sitting on and made herself comfortable. The whole ordeal of her interrogation seemed unimportant to her which made Jayden even angrier. He wanted justice for Ryan. He was their fellow agent. Agents have other agents' back no matter what. They were like family. He didn't understand the deal between Ryan, Elizabeth and Jack. Couldn't even find the connection between the three of them. He hoped his brother would shed some light by asking her the right questions.

Brian was still not over the fact that Emily was abused and had a tragic past. He was wary of interrogating her, the way he did to the other criminals. He didn't know where to start. Maybe he should start with the fact that he knows about the diary. This may put her into ease a bit or it would have an opposite effect. He took a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

He watched Sam enter the room. Sam was supposed to supervise in case things got out of hand. He really didn't want Sam to be there with them but he had no choice. He looked at Emily and tried to picture her as a lonely, depressed child with abusive parents and no one to turn to. He was reminded of his own childhood. The way his biological dad abused him and his biological mom did nothing to stop him. He still had the scars to remind him about the number of years and the amount of pain he endured before he came to live with the Kingston's. They were kind enough to adopt him when he needed that support the most. They never really considered him as an outsider. He was welcomed into the family with open arms and he was grateful for that. He wondered who gave Emily the support she needed. Did she have someone to confide in to? How did she survive? Who was there to help her?

"Are you done staring?" Emily snapped at him, which brought him back to reality.

He cleared his throat. "What's your name?" he asked.

She gave him a flat look. "Elizabeth Matthews."

He shook his head. "Let's try again, shall we? What's. your. name?"

"My. Name. Is. Elizabeth. Matthews." She answered in the same slow way he questioned her.

He decided to let her know about the diary. There was no way she could deny it.

He had carried it with him to the basement. He got up and went outside, which earned him many confused looks. He fetched the diary and kept it on the desk in front of Emily. Once she saw her diary, she gulped. She had no idea that Brian had it. Her eyes clashed with Brian's who was watching her intensely. In that, moment she realized that everybody was now observing their interaction curiously.

Brian spoke again. "Let's try this one last time. What is your real name, Elizabeth?"

She sighed. It was no use hiding her identity anymore. The first page itself had her name. She matched Brian's stare. "Emily Green."

Brian smirked. "It wasn't so hard, was it?"

Emily glared at him. She didn't think Brian would have her diary.

"What were you doing on the Main Street at midnight?" Brian was not the one to beat around the bush.

"Strolling."

"Why do I feel like you are lying?"

"Feel whatever you want. I am not lying and you of all people should know that." She said confidently.

She was right. Of course she was. He knew about her nightmares. Strolling at midnight was not unusual, at least not for her.

He nodded. This earned confused looks from everyone, again. Jayden gaped at him. Why was he agreeing with her? This made him doubt his brother as well. He clenched his teeth. Enough was enough.

"Cut the bullshit. I want to know why you killed Ryan and where did you hide his body?" Jayden asked, taking the matter into his own hands. He didn't need anyone else.

Emily's attention turned towards the younger Kingston. "Excuse me? Who said I killed Ryan?"

"Don't play games with me. You were there when Ryan died. Why did you kill him?"

"Jayden don't –" Brian started.

"Shut up." Jayden interrupted. He leaned on the desk and stared directly into Emily's eyes. "I know you killed him. Just let me find his body. I'll have enough evidence to throw you behind bars." He spoke lowly.

Emily stared at him with amusement. "Go ahead and find it. I can assure you one thing, Jayden. I did not hide the body. I have no idea where it is."

"Will you stop lying?" Jayden shouted.

"But she isn't."    

There you go. Hope you guys are liking it so far. Don't be a silent reader. Show some love. 

Read. Vote. Comment. Thanks.

-DS