Chapter 5.

A ringing sound woke Jack up from his deep slumber. He groaned and rolled over, reaching for his stupid phone in his groggy state.

"What?" He snapped at whoever was on the opposite side of the phone.

"Get your lazy ass out of bed and meet us in your office." Came Nicole's voice.

"I am occupied." He said and cut the call. He tried to sleep again when his phone started ringing the second time.

He was about to shout at Nicole but his words died down as soon as he heard what she said next.

"It's about Elizabeth." She said in a hurry and hung up before he could say another word.

He groaned.

Will I ever get a break from this girl?! He sighed.

"You do know that the first Sunday after I return from my 'business trip' is Danny's Sunday out, right?" were his first words to them when he arrived at his office. But looking at their grim faces he knew this had to be important.

They must have finally known that Elizabeth doesn't exist.

"So what's wrong?"

"Elizabeth Matthews might be a fake name." Skylar said and pursed her lips.

"And...?" He asked impatiently.

"You aren't surprised?" Nicole asked.

"I am surprised but not at her fake name but because you guys didn't doubt her even once. I mean, come on, fake is written all over her face." Jack replied.

Skylar sighed. "I thought she was my friend."

"So did she!"

"Are you defending her, Jack?" Now she was getting annoyed.

"No! I am just stating the facts. We used fake names too. You don't get to be upset over such a petty thing. It shouldn't matter to us."

"So now we - "

"Follow her every movement like a shadow? Yes." Jack cut off Trent.

"Jay? Did you do what I told you to?" Jack asked.

"No." Jayden sighed. "I couldn't. It's like she is being protected. I can't even trace her cell-phone or hack her computer without a huge risk of getting caught." He groaned in frustration.

"This is a first." Brian commented.

Before Jayden could retaliate and start an argument, Jack interrupted.

"Anyway, we follow and try to collect as much information on her as possible and discuss it in two days starting from tomorrow in school. All clear?"

Everyone agreed except Brian of course.

"Brian" Jack said in a stern voice.

"Yeah! Yeah! Even though you have graduated high school, pretend that you are eighteen and attend everyday because you are undercover. It doesn't matter that you have to complete your homework all over again, I get it." He huffed.

Jack chuckled. "I am an undercover teacher too. I have homework as well, Brian."

"I know I am awesome, but please don't make me go to school. Anything but school." Brian whined.

"Why? Does it have to do with certain someone's rejection?" Trent asked.

Brian groaned while the other's laughed.

* * *

"Jackie" an excited voice shouted as soon as Jack entered his family mansion. He chuckled and shouted in the same excited voice "Danny". A small body came barreling into him and hugged his legs tightly. Jack kneeled down in front of Danny and grinned at him.

Daniel Sanders, age 10, had blonde hair just like Dad's. Unlike Daniel, Jack had sandy brown hair that were a mixture of his dad's blonde hair and mom's brown hair. However, both Daniel and Jack inherited their dad's blue eyes. Even though Danny was his half-brother, he loved him like his own.

"Are you taking me to the park today?" Danny asked. Hope and excitement filled his eyes. Jack could never say no to him. But before he could say yes, Claire, Danny's mom, well his mom too in a way entered the living room.

"Danny." She said in a stern voice. "Jack just got home from work. Let him freshen up first." She smiled softly at Jack and he just nodded in reply. She then turned her attention towards Danny again. "And you, mister, finish eating your food."

Danny groaned and whispered in Jack's ears. "I don't like healthy food. Please save me." He begged.

Jack chuckled and shook his head. "No can do, buddy. You need to finish your food while I change."

Danny sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "Why God, why? Why are you punishing me like this?" He shouted. Jack laughed and Claire just rolled her eyes at her son's everyday antics.

Half an hour later, both of them were enjoying their time in the park. Daniel was playing with some of his friends while Jack was sitting on the grass leaning against the tree, just taking in the cool October breeze. He loved the peace and quiet that nature offered. Sometime later, he noticed a pregnant woman. No. A very tired pregnant woman making her way towards a bench to his left. It seemed like she would pass out any moment, even before reaching the bench. Jack was about to stand up to help her out when he saw a figure already walking towards her in quick steps.

Of course! She had to be here. She appears everywhere he goes! He sighed irritatingly.

But what shocked him the most, was the amount of concern she was showing for the woman. She led her to the bench, made her sit down, and fussed over her for a few minutes. He couldn't hear what they were talking but he saw her smile warmly at the woman. Her smile was almost sad if anyone would look closely.

What happened to her to make her what she is now?

It was the first time he had seen genuine emotions on her face. Both of them glanced down at her round stomach. The woman said something to her while caressing her belly.

Pain. Anger. Sadness. And.. jealousy? Were her emotions after listening to whatever the woman was talking. It had to be about the baby. Elizabeth looked like she was holding back tears. She quickly excused herself and went in the opposite direction.

She looked so vulnerable. Broken almost.

Right at the end of the far side of the park, there was a small area thick with trees. The people had named it 'Mini Woods'. Checking on Daniel once, Jack followed Elizabeth when she started going towards the woods. She checked her phone once and increased her pace. Jack hid behind a tree when she stopped abruptly. She changed her path and went deeper into the woods. Jack crept forward and hid behind another tree that was nearby to where she was standing.

Voices!

He could hear voices. One was definitely Elizabeth and the other was a male's voice.

The guy from the phone maybe?

He peeked from behind the tree and looked at them.

Unexpected!

What he saw, made his blood boil. Anger was an understatement, he was feeling at the moment.

His fists clenched.

I'll be damned if I didn't make her leave Bridgewood!

Looking at them, he swore to protect his town whatever it takes. Even if it meant to eliminate Elizabeth Matthews!