Chapter 24.

Since I won't be able to update this weekend, here's a Friday update for you guys.

Happy Reading!

She left the house as quietly as she could. The guards did not question her as she passed the gates of her mansion and quickly made her way towards the crossing where a car was already waiting for her on the opposite side of the road. Hasty legs crossed the street, eyes looking around for the passers-by. She didn't want to risk anyone seeing her. No one noticed her as she neared the car and settled in. The car zoomed past as soon as she was inside. She felt guilty for sneaking around but this was for the best. She didn't want to think of the consequences if people found out. The car came to a halt, jolting her out of her thoughts. She smiled at the driver as he opened the door and climbed out of the car. The driver waved at her as he left and she turned around facing a small path of cobbled stones. She walked along the path that led to a small clearing in the woods.

Serenity is what she loved the most. Her eyes glowed with brightness as she took in the surroundings and sighed happily. She felt complete relaxation, away from the buzz of the town and their family's business. There was only one thing missing though. Arms wrapped around her waist from behind and he hugged her tightly to him, not letting go for a while. She smiled softly and leaned back against him.

"I am sorry." He whispered. His mouth grazing against the shell of her ear.

She turned around and faced him, his hands still on her waist. "What about work?" she asked.

He shrugged. "They can manage without me for a few hours. But I can't manage without you."

She blushed.

He chuckled.

* * *

"Where does Trent disappear when you need him?" Jayden grumbled while entering school with Brian the next day. Brian received many glances on his way because of his absence. However, all of them knew not to question him.

Brian shrugged distractedly. Jayden noticed it and followed his line of vision. He frowned when he saw Nicole struggling with the books in her locker.

They went near her and Jayden tapped on her shoulder. She jumped out of her skin at the unexpected gesture and turned around abruptly causing her books to tumble out of her hands and on the floor. Brian bent forward to pick them up while Jayden asked her if she was feeling okay.

She laughed nervously. Her eyes darting towards her phone every other minute. "I am okay. Just the submissions and the agency training are stressing me out. I am absolutely fine." She smiled tightly and left muttering a quick "see you after class".

Jayden shook his head not even surprised at her behavior.

"Everybody is going insane." He remarked. Brian laughed a little at that. "Including you, bro." Jayden continued. "Why did you agree with Emily when she said she was strolling? Do you know something that we don't?"

Brian gritted his teeth as he heard her name. She went too far yesterday. He had lunged at Emily as soon as the words of him killing her had slipped out of her mouth. Asher was quick to come in between them before he could punch her at least once and he would have done it if Jack and Jayden hadn't restrained him while she left with Grandpa and Asher. He knew he was no saint but whatever happened yesterday was a low blow. He couldn't believe Grandpa and Mr. Asher were involved with her. Digging up his past made him sleepless at night. His nightmares were back.

"The bell is about to ring, I am going to class. You should too." He said nonchalantly.

Jayden sighed at his brother's retreating body and went on his way.

Skylar raced out of the Math class as soon as the bell rang and sighed in relief when she realized it was the lunch break. She decided to go to her locker first to fetch the books for the class after lunch since her locker was on the opposite side of the building and keep the remaining books inside. As she yanked the locker open, all her books tumbled out as if the entire pile was roughly shoved. She gasped at the mess in front of her. Her locker was always organised. She never kept any of her books or assignments out of place.

Her wary eyes roamed around the sea of students passing by to check if anyone looked suspicious but no one paid any attention to her.

She heard someone call out her name as she started picking up her books. Whirling around she was ready to shout at the intruder but her words died down when she saw it was just Trent.

"What's wrong?" he asked worriedly.

"Someone was there at my locker. In my locker to be precise." She said shakily as she gestured towards the books still lying on the floor.

Trent sighed. He didn't want to tell her but it seemed that he had to.

"Sky, someone is onto us." He spoke slowly, his forehead creasing.

Skylar stiffened.

"W-What?"

He picked up a book and removed a yellow colored note that Skylar hadn't noticed before. It was halfway tucked inside so that it could be easily spotted. Trent produced one more note from his pocket which was similar to her's.

She froze once she read the notes. Words blurred into one another as she tried to make sense of what and how of the situation.

Trent worriedly took hold of her shoulders and tried to calm her down.

"What do we do now?" she whispered almost panicking.

"Exactly what it says. We have no option." Trent said dejectedly.

She read the note again, the words already echoing in her mind.

"I know where you were yesterday. If you want it to be a secret then meet me tonight."

Well damn! What do you think is gonna happen next? Do you think Nicole had something to do with this?

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy.

-DS