Chapter 12.

Skylar, Elizabeth and Nicole's dresses.

Emily stood in front of the mirror, looking at her blue gown one last time and sighed before leaving her room. Her heels made a clicking sound as she climbed down the staircase. Peter was waiting for her near the end of the staircase. He looked up at her, (No, his jaw didn't drop or anything. He had already seen her in such dresses many times.) and smiled forcefully.

None of them uttered a word as they made their way towards his car. Emily knew something was bothering him and she had a good guess as to what, but she wanted him to talk to her first.

Once they were settled inside his car, Peter drove off towards the Sanders mansion.

"Peter." Emily started.

"Don't." He said sharply. "Just don't talk."

And that's what she did. She knew him enough to know that he would speak eventually.

They reached the house in no time. Emily started to get out of his car, when he finally opened his mouth.

"You don't have to do this. I can still take you back home, you just have to say the words." He looked at her expectantly.

Emily wanted to do just that. She was dreading to go inside and be a part of the ball, but she couldn't. Facing him was important and she had to do it.

"I don't have a choice, Peter." She said quietly. Peter sighed and backed out of the driveway without saying another word.

There, she stood alone facing the entrance of the mansion, thinking about running away in the opposite direction. She took a deep breath, and started walking towards the house. The first thing she noticed was the crowd. There were so many people attending the ball, all dressed in business suits and elegant dresses. She felt suffocated with them.

She decided to head towards the kitchen to get some cold water to calm her nerves. She wasn't ready to meet him yet. She had been nervous as hell since yesterday and so had been Peter. Tyler had assured them that nothing was going to happen but it didn't make her feel any better.

" - zabeth?"

Startled, she looked up. The twins were looking at her strangely. Both of them looked gorgeous, one in her purple dress and the other in red. Even though they looked identical, they were anything but. They felt like strangers to her at the moment.

"You seem a bit off. Everything okay?" Skylar asked.

"Uh. Yeah. I am fine." She tried to smile.

Nicole noticed her uneasiness and cleared her throat.

"So... You know about us now." She started awkwardly.

Emily coughed in order to gain a few seconds. "Yeah! But I still don't know which one of you is Skylar or Nicole." She looked at them for a moment and then looked away but instantly regretted it. She unknowingly caught the eye of that one person she had to hide from, the entire night. "It doesn't matter anyway. It's not like I gave you my real name as well." She blurted out. Her eyes widened.

Shit! Why did you have to say that Emily?!

But she didn't have time to correct herself, because someone else was coming towards her and she needed to get away soon. She quickly left the kitchen leaving the gaping twins behind.

She moved near the dance floor where there were more people that can keep her hidden but of course it was always futile.

"Why do you even try?" A frustrated voice said behind her.

She turned, facing him and laughed nervously. "I wasn't trying anything."

He rolled his eyes. "Keep telling yourself that. I know you are stalling, but it won't work, you know that, right?" He looked at her pointedly.

She sighed defeated, and he smiled in triumph. "Come on, he wants to see you."

She dejectedly followed the man who was his bodyguard, personal assistant, right hand man whatever you want to call him.

And so they went to meet that one person on earth, who intimidated her the most.

Grandpa Sanders.

There, you have your next update. I know it's short but it had to end this way!
Don't forget to hit the star at the bottom of the chapter.

Quick question:- How many of you thought 'him' was Jack in this chapter? Be honest.

-DS