Chapter 27.

An early update. Because why not?

Happy Reading guys! 

Jack tossed and turned but could not get even an ounce of sleep. He figured that there was no use of trying to go back to bed. So he got ready instead and left for work. He walked on the dark lonely roads hoping that Tom would have long gone by now. As the astronomical twilight broke into dawn, he reached his office without any interruptions.

He slumped on the chair and sighed heavily. He needed a distraction. With that thought in mind, he started going through one of the many files that were piled up on his desk and took notes of all the things that were to be questioned and discussed in the next meeting.

Tom who was wallowing in his misery had never left the office for the night. He saw Jack entering the building through his windows. His heart ached for him. He could not do anything to make him feel better except for telling him the truth that he should have told him from the start.

He had met Jack's mom on a mission. She worked for the enemy. Both of them had a task of getting close to each other and get all the information they needed in order to take down their enemy. They fell in love instead. Everything was a chaos after that. Neither of the groups accepted their relationship. Arguments and fights were like a daily routine. Hostility went up a notch and the groups were hell bent on destroying each other. His dad had at last intervened and talked to the head of the enemy group who was the father of his beloved. They had negotiated and made peace with each other finally accepting their relationship. To this date, he had yet to know how his dad did it. He never cared though because he got to marry the love of his life. He could not ask for more. His parents had welcomed her warmly, never showing hatred or disgust because she was once an enemy. They were ecstatic when little Jack was born. He was a proud son, proud husband and a proud father. But all of that changed when they had to leave everything behind for a year.

Tom took a deep breath as he neared his son's office. The door was open but Jack was immersed in his work. He stood at the entrance and knocked on the door to gain his attention. Jack looked up, surprised. When he realised it was Tom his face hardened and he looked away.

"You are not welcome here."

Tom knew he had lost Jack but he was not going to give up.

"Give me a chance to explain. Please." He pleaded.

Jack remained quiet.

He took this as a sign to start talking.

"Your mom and I, we were never meant to be, I guess. Sure, we were very happy. You were too. Everybody called you a happy baby." He smiled at the reminiscing memories.

"But everybody has their flaws. We had too. And our marriage was not as perfect as it seemed to be. I realized this when we were assigned to the 1997 mission. I do not know if that was a mistake or a blessing in disguise. That was the time when I realized that your mom was not what she used to be or used to pretend. She loved me, yes. Did she love me enough to forget that we were enemies before? No. We never had a problem with Golden Grove after our marriage. We were civil and that's how far The Group and Golden Grove could go. But this particular mission changed everything. I had left going to missions. This operation though, was connected with those members who were involved in the mission in which I had met her. That was the only reason why we had to go, to tie up some loose ends. I made some mistakes and she made some mistakes which ultimately was the downfall of our family."

Jack listened to his dad silently. He wanted to ask what mistakes but he was afraid to know the answer.

"Is she still with them?" he asked instead.

"With Golden Grove? No." Tom replied.

"Then?"

Tom bit his lip contemplating on how to answer that.

"She is not here, is she?" Jack asked shakily. He didn't want to say that she is dead, out loud. It would make it seem very real.

Tom caught on to what Jack was trying to say. He looked at him and slowly shook his head.

"No she is not." He confirmed and lowered his eyes.

Jack closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. He had thought of the possibility but no matter how much ever you brace yourself for the harsh truth, you will never ever be truly prepared when it hits you.

"Because of Golden Grove, isn't it?" he asked angrily. That organisation had to go down. It felt like they were his personal enemy.

"No, Jack." His dad said. "It was for  Golden Grove."

Jack's eyes snapped up at him.

What?!

"I am sorry I never told you. I was a shitty dad. Not only to you but also –"

"Jack."

They glanced at each other before Tom bolted out of the door with Jack following behind him. They went towards the direction from where the screaming could be heard.

They met with a very disoriented Skylar. She was a mess. Jack ran to her and cupped her face.

"Sky? What happened? Are you okay?" he looked her over to check for any injuries. When he couldn't find any, he looked at her face again. She cried harder and hugged him. Jack tried to sooth her as much as he could and brought her in the lobby. Tom fetched a glass of water and passed it to him. He made her sit on of the couches and knelt in front of her.

"Hey, it's okay. You are okay. You're safe now." He comforted her.

When Jack thought she was calm enough to talk he asked her what was wrong.

"Y-You have to help m-me, Jack. N-Nicole, she is g-going to k-kidnap Emily." She hiccuped.

It was like a bucket of cold water thrown over them.

"What?" Jack and Tom exclaimed simultaneously.

"Skylar." Jack continued. "Tell me from the beginning."

Skylar shook her head vigorously. She stood up and dragged Jack with her to the entrance. "There is no time to explain. They are going to kidnap her before the daylight hits the town. Trent has gone to Emily's place to check on her. You need to come with me. They might need our help."

Tom who was following behind them went to start his car since his was the nearest.

He drove near the entrance.

"Get in." he shouted at them.

They hurried over and left for Emily's house at once.

Skylar was still trembling from whatever happened in the course of the night when they reached the Main Street. Her beige house stood out as the first rays of the sun hit the earth. All three of them hastily got out and barged in the house. The sight that greeted them made their blood run cold. It confirmed their suspicions.

Emily had been kidnapped and Trent's body was unmoving. 

Gasp! What do you think happened the night before? Thoughts on Nicole? Any guesses on what will happen next?   

We are almost halfway there btw. Woohoo!

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy.

-DS