Chapter 13.

Scott Eastwood as Sam Parker.

Trent and Brian were standing in one corner of the living room, talking amongst themselves. They noticed Jack talking to one of the businessmen with a fake smile on his face and laughed quietly. Anyone in the room could see that he was tired of mingling with his dad's associates.

After a while he excused himself and started finding someone. Thinking that he was finding them they started making their way towards him, but stopped when his face hardened as he stared at someone to his left. They followed his gaze and realised Sam Parker moving towards Jack. He was cautious while walking, looking everywhere around him. They were always suspicious about Sam, his meetings with Jack didn't settle well with anyone of them. They just never acted upon it.

"What's the deal with those two?" Trent asked.

Brian shook his head. "Hell, if I know!"

They both looked at each other . "Are you thinking what I am thinking?"

"If you are thinking what I am thinking then sure." Brian grinned.

"Come on."

They rounded the living room and went to stand behind the drinks counter, close enough to hear what Jack and Sam were talking, far enough to not reveal themselves.

" - information?" Jack was asking.

"You were right. He is a member of Golden Grove. Not just a member, Sir. He is at the highest position a member could ever be, after the owner. He is as equal as David."

Both of them stilled at what they heard. "What the hell?" Brian whispered. Trent just shook his head.

They could clearly see that Jack was angry. He gritted his teeth. "I was hoping to be wrong. But now that we know who he is, Elizabeth is as good as dead. "

"I don't understand though. If you saw her with - "

"Not here Sam, anyone can hear you. We'll talk more about this later in my office."

With a nod, Sam left and blended in the crowd.

Trent suggested that they go upstairs in his room to talk about whatever they heard. "We can't discuss this here. We need a quiet place."

Brian agreed and together they climbed upstairs. Each of them had their own rooms in the mansion which were on the second floor. The entire first floor was occupied by Grandpa Sanders and it was off limits.

Now, they never tried to break that one rule or tried to snoop around ever and they wouldn't have at that time as well, if it wasn't for the sound of sniffling coming from grandpa's room. Trent didn't want to meddle in whatever business grandpa was up to but Brian pulled him in to see what was going on. The door of the room was locked. They tiptoed down the hallway and turned around the corner where the bedroom's window faced. Fortunately it was slightly open so they could see what was happening. Since it was dark, they were pretty much covered by the shadows.

Brian took out his phone and typed a message for Trent to see. 'Am I dreaming?'

Trent was too shocked to even reply. Elizabeth was crying in front of grandpa. But that wasn't what shocked him. Nope. Grandpa had tears in his eyes too. His assistant was trying to comfort Elizabeth but was failing miserably. Once Elizabeth calmed down a bit, she wiped her face and cleared her throat.

"I don't want to talk about it." were the only words she uttered.

Grandpa nodded. "Now that is done and over with, we have something else to discuss - "

"NO!" Elizabeth glared at him. "We are done here."

"Emily, he is my son."

'We have her real name now.' Brian typed. Trent nodded but both of them were still confused about why Mr. Sanders was a part of their conversation.

"And I care because?" Emily asked sharply.

Grandpa sighed. "Look, I am a Sanders too. But you are not here to destroy me, are you?"

Wide-eyed, Trent looked at Brian whose mouth was hanging open at what they heard.

"Grandpa." Emily hissed. "I am not - " she was interrupted by grandpa's phone. Saved by the phone, she got a chance to escape. "I am out of here."

She yanked the door open and slammed it shut on her way out.

Trent and Brian didn't know whether to follow her or wait for her to reach downstairs. But their question was answered pretty quickly when grandpa picked up his call.

"Tyler, why haven't you told her the truth yet?" Grandpa was pissed off that much was sure.

They couldn't hear what the other guy said but whatever it was, it made him angrier. "I don't care about the consequences. She has to know the truth from us and no one else. We'll be in deep shit otherwise."

'I don't think, I can take any more surprises tonight.' Trent typed. Brian read the message and nodded his head towards the hallway. They quickly made it to Trent's room. Brian collapsed on his bed. "I am never going to eavesdrop ever again. Learnt my lesson. Ignorance is bliss." He groaned.

"I need a drink." Trent muttered.

They made their way downstairs again. After a while, they were joined by Jack, Skylar and Nicole. It was easier to forget the past hour for some time and pretend to be carefree with alcohol by their side. Soon they found themselves dancing freely, goofing around and just enjoying the party.

You know what they say, enjoy it while it lasts.

What do you think about Emily and Jack's granddad? Any idea what can happen next?

-DS