Chapter 31.

It's been too long. I know. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

Happy Reading guys!

Peter Maxwell? Jack thought.

"You are in danger, Em. You shouldn't be here."

"Peter, I am in danger since the day I was born. Tell me something new."

Wasn't he supposed to protect Emily? Why would he join hands with Frank Davis?

Or he was playing the double agent from the beginning.

He shook his head. He does not even know if he is the same Peter.

"Do you know him?" Skylar asked.

No. He can't be the same Peter. Both are different. That's it.

"No, I don't. So you agreed to infiltrate the gang with the help of Peter?"

Skylar nodded.

"It was my decision. If my sister was doing something wrong, I had to stop her. Knock some sense into her. Trent never agreed though. He knew I wouldn't budge so he just kind of went along with it. Now he is injured and it's my entire fault." She sniffled.

"You didn't know this would happen. It's not your fault, Sky." He said softly.

"He wasn't supposed to be present last night. But he had allowed me to go there only if he was nearby. That was his condition. Frank and him were a mile away listening in while we talked with the gang."

"How did you guys pull it off without them or even Nicole knowing?"

"Apparently Nicole already knew about kidnapping Emily. They were searching for her for quite some time now. As soon as she came to know that Elizabeth was in fact Emily she shared the news with the gang and they started planning on how to take her away. Peter however was unaware of the plans since he was the newest member and hadn't passed all his tests. That's why they needed me. Since Nicole was close to Emily and us, she would have been easily recognised if something went wrong. So the leader, everybody calls him Harrison, had banned Nicole from all the meetings and the plan until they had Emily with them. Peter, who didn't know that Nicole was banned, had volunteered to inform everyone about this meeting which gave a perfect excuse about why I was there. When I reached there, Harrison pulled me away from the rest of the members. He was angry that I showed up when they had to actually carry out the plan of kidnapping Emily and told me leave at once. Trent who was already listening to us rushed to Emily's place while I came to the headquarters to get help. I don't know what happened to Peter or what Frank did after we left." She explained while Jack listened quietly.

"Wow. Your life has been eventful for a while." He teased, trying to lighten the mood.

She smiled slightly and shrugged.

"One last question." Jack said. "What did Frank Davis blackmail you guys with? Are you in some kind of trouble or something?" he asked. He was wondering this one thing from the start.

Skylar bit her lip, contemplating on how to answer that. Should she tell him the truth? It was just Jack. He would never tell a soul. She knew he would support them if needed.

"We –"

"Excuse me, Sir."

Both of them looked up at the intruder. It was the doctor.

Skylar quickly got up and rushed towards him. "How is he?"

The doctor looked at Jack. He nodded to continue.

"He is fine. He is not in danger. Just a concussion and two broken ribs. He just needs to be careful until they heal." The doctor smiled.

"Can we go see him?" Jack asked

The doctor nodded. "Make sure he stays awake mostly and even if he sleeps, wake him up every two hours."

Trent was awake when they reached his room. He was leaning against the pillow propped up behind him. He turned towards the door when he heard them entering but winced due to the pain.

Skylar hurriedly walked up to his bed. "Are you okay? Do you need something? Should I call a doctor?"

Jack looked at her amusedly. "He is fine, Sky. Breathe."

Pink marred her cheeks as she stepped away from Trent and let him take her place instead.

"You feeling better now?" he asked.

Trent groaned. "Just take away my injured ribs, heal them and give me back later, thanks."

Jack chuckled but then became serious again.

"So what exactly happened? Did you see your attacker?"

"Yeah I did." Trent nodded.

"He must be the one who kidnapped Emily as well then." Jack told Skylar.

"Wait what? Kidnapped Emily?" Trent asked. Confusion masked his features.

Jack and Skylar shared a glance. "You went there to save Emily, remember? She is kidnapped." Skylar said slowly.

Trent shook his head. "No."

Jack frowned. "Did you hit your head too hard?"

Trent sighed. "Let me explain. Yes, I went to her place to save her but she wasn't the one who got kidnapped."

Skylar gasped.

"What do you mean? Who was it then?" Jack asked.

"Emily. The real Emily got kidnapped and this Emily-Elizabeth, whoever she is, was the one who dragged her out of the house."

Jack's jaw dropped. "What?"

"Did she hurt you too?" Skylar whispered.

"No. It was Peter."

Jack banged his head against the wall. "Just when I thought I figured out things, this happens." He groaned.

As Skylar opened her mouth to speak something, the door opened with a bang and Tom rushed in. His eyes were frantic as he looked at Jack. "The guards you appointed to scout out the area near Emily's house reported something."

Jack stood straighter and looked at Tom expectantly.

"Someone just tried to break into her house." Tom continued.

And the mystery of Elizabeth Matthews continues... 

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy.

-DS