Chapter 22.

Thank you BirdBlues for your votes and comments throughout. Much love!

Happy Reading guys!

"But she isn't."

Jack's voice was followed by a pregnant pause. Then all hell broke loose.

"What are you talking about?"

"How do you know that?"

"Are you kidding me right now?"

Tom, Brian and Jayden fired questions at him at the same time. Sam stared at him open-mouthed but did not voice his questions or doubts. In the midst of all this, Jack opened his mouth to answer but grandpa beat him to it.

"Enough." His voice boomed across the room. Everybody fell silent and turned their attention towards him but his eyes were trained on Jack. "Explain."

Emily leaned forward with interest. She was dying to know how he would get himself out of the hole he just dug.

Jack blew out a breath and started, "I am not saying that I know for sure whether she is lying or not. I am just saying that we have no evidence of what you just accused her about." His eyes met Jayden's while talking. "Do you have any evidence against her? Did you find a motive? A murder weapon? The dead body?" he asked.

Jayden clenched his jaw but kept quiet.

"Exactly." Jack said at his silence.

By now, everyone was outside the glass barrier except Emily and Sam. Emily was still sitting on the chair comfortably and Sam was still standing in a corner.

Brian sighed and went back inside. "So Emily, did you see or hear anything that night when you were strolling?"

Jayden snorted. He was convinced that something bigger was going on here but he didn't know who all were a part of it.

"No, Brian." She answered in a bored voice.

Brian just stared at her for a minute. It was as if this entire situation didn't affect her at all. He did not doubt her but he couldn't let Jayden's accusation fall on deaf ears. His brother wasn't stupid. He was in fact the smartest among them when it came to observing and cracking clues. He was thinking of a way to rile her up before something caught his eye.

The diary.

He smirked.

"Forget Ryan for a moment. Let's talk about you, why don't we?" Brain asked cheerfully.

Jayden wanted to protest but he was too curious to do that.

"Why Elizabeth Mathews?" was his first question.

Most of them were confused at his question. Therefore, Brian modified it.

"Your diary clearly says that your name is Emily Green, then why Elizabeth Matthews?"

Emily just shrugged.

"Where are you from?"

Jack looked at her through the glass intensely. He was sure that she was the same Emily Green but he still needed enough assurance.

She stood up. "This is stupid and none of your business." She said irritated.

"I just want to hear it from you." He answered standing up as well. "The diary already – "

"Oh my God! Will you shut up about the diary, already?" Emily shouted. "The diary only told you what I wanted to tell you and nothing more." She blurted out in her anger and immediately regretted it.

Brian was shocked. He felt betrayed. His expression hardened.

"Are you trying to tell me that you wanted me to know about the abuse to earn my sympathy?"

He spoke lowly but everyone in the room heard him. Jayden inhaled sharply. He knew how much the word "abuse" affected Brian. This made him wonder how Emily knew about his past. It was still weird to call her Emily instead of Elizabeth or Beth.

Everyone was so lost in their thoughts that they didn't notice Emily nodding at Brian at his previous question. It happened so fast that the others couldn't even comprehend what exactly happened. One second they were talking and the next, Brian had Emily pinned against the wall with a hand on her neck almost throttling her.

"You knew." He breathed. "You knew about my past, didn't you? You knew how I would react." He gritted his teeth. "We were supposed to play games, Emily. Not emotions."

Emily tried shaking her head and get out of the hold he had on her, but Brian didn't care. He was hurt. He knew about her nightmares, even offered his help but this was a low blow.

"Tell me, you knew about my past so that I can kill you. Tell me." He yelled.

Jayden and Sam tried to pull him off but he didn't budge. He was beyond angry.

Tom and Jack were the first to rush inside. They were finally successful in pulling Brian off her. His fists were clenched and he was breathing heavily. Emily took the support of the wall and coughed. "I-I – " she coughed again.

Grandpa Sanders was already pissed because of how the interrogation went. He wanted to get this done and over with.

"She didn't know, Brian. She didn't, but I did." He spoke coldly.

And yet again, there was absolute silence in the interrogation room.

Grandpa?! Damn! Didn't see that coming. ;)

Read. Vote. Comment. Enjoy.

-DS