Chapter 26.

Francisco Lachowski ❤ as Frank Davis.

This is like the looooongest chapter (according to word count).

Happy Reading.

"Thought I'd find you here." Jack said from behind Emily, scaring her half to death.

Emily placed a hand on her racing heart. "Jeez Jack! Don't scare me like that." She exhaled.

Jack raised both his hands. "Sorry!"

A few days had passed since the interrogation. They were at the park again. Emily was sitting near the edge of the park where the woods started. There was a secluded corner right where the park ended. It was hidden with surrounding thick bushes so that it could not be spotted at one glance. Jack knew she would be at the park but it had taken some efforts to find her where exactly she was.

She rolled her eyes at his half-hearted apology. "What do you want?" She asked him calmly even though she rather knew the answer.

It was Jack's turn to roll his eyes. "You know what I want. Why don't we cut to the chase and you just give me the answers I am searching for two years now?"

She smirked.

"Not so easily. You need to earn them." she replied.

Jack looked at her dumbfounded.

"What do you mean by earn them? I have waited two damn years for this. I think I have already earned it." He stated.

She shook her head.

"A question for a question." She said finally.

Jack shrugged. It's not like she had anything important to ask him anyway.

"Where is Rose?" he asked and held his breath in anticipation.

"Safe."

Jack scowled.

"That's not an answer."

"Oh, but it is!"

Before Jack could say anything, she spurted out her question.

"What happened in 1997?" she asked in a rush almost desperate to find the answer that was bugging her since the past two years.

Jack tensed.

"Huh?"

She sighed. "What happened to you know the mission and your... mom?" She asked hesitantly.

Jack clenched his jaw and looked away. Talking about his mom was never allowed in the house. It was a sore spot for him. He himself always wondered what had happened to his mom but he had tried not to dwell in it because it seemed futile. Everyone always closed off whenever he brought that topic out and it pissed him to no end.

Emily cleared her throat and brought him back to reality.

"Why do you need to know? This has nothing to do with you or James or Rose." He asked in a clipped tone. He did not even try to ask how she knew about it since she was connected to James and James was involved with Golden Grove, he sort of assumed that she would know more things than she let on in front of everyone.

She scoffed. "Trust me it has everything to do with it."

He looked at her. "What does that mean?"

She matched his stare evenly. "Because, Jack, that was one of the reasons Golden Grove killed James."

Jack was too shocked to move. She said something else as well but he didn't hear it.

When he looked back at her, she had already stood up and was dusting herself.