Suka #17

MADMAN ALMOST FICTION | Subexistence

 12:01 A.M., December 22, 2012

Forward Office, San Agustin Hall

I waited for the world to end the other day, but it didn’t happen. Then again, something different occurred and ended my world. I was in awe and horror for the last sixteen hours and fifty-nine minutes. I am still shaking. Flashes of screams and cries, door smashes, glass breaks, and a never-ending run-for-your-life scenario filled my head bumping it into the wall frantically hoping to forget everything. But those things never left me. My hands are now held tight to what happened. Escape will not work. I am trapped.

07:59 A.M., December 21, 2012

Room 425, Mt. Carmel Building

Geo: Where are the materials?

Lian: Everything is accounted for. You need not to worry.

ME: How about the laboratory? Do we have permission?

Kate: That’s why this is confidential. We don’t need permissions. And, oh, I already gave sleeping pills for the guards both at the front and back gates. The medicine will take effect in seven hours. All is set. Free yourselves from worries.

02:47 A.M., December 16, 2012

Inside my room, checking e-mails

Kate sent me a text message, “I e-mailed you the profile data. Keep this silent.” I hurriedly checked my e-mail, found Kate’s message and printed the information. At first, I thought it was an article on pseudo sciences. Then I found my friends’ names written on it, including mine. It was no pseudo science write-up. With a glance of the papers, I knew it will be suicide.

12:22 P.M., December 21, 2012

Room 521, Chemistry Laboratory, San Agustin Building

The four of us sneaked into the room. It was lunch time. We set the apparatuses cautiously, locked the door and began the project which I didn’t think will turn out to be my worst nightmare – eyes opened. It was an ambitious proposal by Kate: to transmute living organisms paired with other biological entities comprising a total difference of anatomical structure. The stink of the chemicals used invaded my nostrils. I felt dizzy. Everyone actually did. My eyes went blurry and found myself lying on the floor, numb and paralyzed. Geo was down, too. Lian hurried outside grasping for air. He can barely move. At first, I couldn’t find Kate. I struggled to get myself up with one hand almost sensing nothing. Kate was there – leaning her back on the wall with the test tubes in her hands. They were broken and leaked on Kate’s hands continuously on the floor. She was shaking. Something is wrong.

2:41 P.M., December 21, 2012

Laboratory Counter 1, 5th Floor, San Agustin Building

My full consciousness was back. I stepped outside finding Lian went inside Lab Counter 1 and locked the door. I followed him curiously but I felt a prick that something bad will happen. Then a hand landed on my shoulder. It was Kate’s. She pulled me back.

Kate: The contamination was airborne. We are lucky we wore masks. Lian is infected. Let him be. Let’s go.

ME: Wait, we will just leave him here?

Kate: It is dangerous. He is.

ME: But, can’t he be—

There was a loud crashing of glasses. Lian screamed as if he needed our help. Kate grabbed my hand and we ran downstairs. Geo was not with us.

3:38 P.M., December 21, 2012

Main Library

Kate was in a rush. She skimmed through books I barely know. But one thing is certain - this will get worse. The alarm sounded and announcements echoed all throughout the university. Students were being evacuated outside the vicinity. They already knew. Kate was finished with the books. She took a deep sigh before saying to me that we’re too late.

Kate: We only have one option. Exterminate them.

ME: You mean Geo and Lian?

Kate: No, not them. We will eliminate the airborne virus.

ME: Please don’t tell me we will do it.

Kate: It is our last hope. Myrothia eats fire greedily. Everything will explode as we will throw fire on the contaminated area. This virus must perish before it will eat up everything within its track.

ME: Oh my God, Kate. How did this turn out this way?

Kate: Prepare to be kicked out of school, Christian.

6:50 P.M., December 21, 2012

Canteen

Anything that throws fire – it was Kate’s orders. I found boxes of match, lighters, gasoline tanks, hoses, and tons of left food on tables. I then hurried upstairs.

7:12 P.M., December 21, 2012

Room 521, Chemistry Laboratory, San Agustin Building

I found Kate, with two bodies covered with newspapers. I knew it, but I forced myself never to believe. Kate said their bodies collapsed upon inhaling Myrothia. I dropped the things, knelt and wet my hands with tears I never knew would fall. Kate was convincing herself not to burst out of emotions, but later screamed for our friends’ loss. I knew Kate burdened it herself, blaming her own for their deaths and the consequences that occurred after the experiment. I picked myself up and helped Kate to gain herself back, too. She then was back to her composure and even left a distinguished smile on her face. I didn’t know what that was for.

8:03 P.M., December 21, 2012

Front of the Chemistry Laboratories, 5th Floor, San Agustin Building

We were in front of Room 518. I handed down to Kate the equipments to be used for the final blow. I never liked fire. But this will surely save us. Kate turned to me, left again that smile and pushed me inside the room and locked it. I shouted for her to open it but she never turned to me. I knew I am about to lose another friend again. I watched as Kate ran to the area with the things on her body. She lit the fire and what I saw next was light. I thought I was dead, too.

5:25 A.M., December 22, 2012

In my room

The alarm rang. I stretched my hand to kill the noise that ended my dream. Oh, that dream? I’m glad that Geo and Lian will never turn out to be biological deforms, at least in real life. And I guess I really felt the heat before I woke up. Ignore it. I hastily got up, checked my e-mails, and found a weird coincidence. I received one and it was the same e-mail I got in my dream, but... who’s Kate?