That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 10 - "The Real, Idiotic Reason"

Start from the beginning

"OH!" I exclaimed in faux realization. "So, you leave the city, go to your parents, and you become utterly incapable of sending me even a single text message telling me where you are or why you can't talk to me. I get it now."

A wide smile graced my face. A wide FAKE smile.

"Do you really think that I'm that horrible that I wouldn't understand that you needed to spend as much time with your family as you possibly can considering the circumstances? I'm not the kind of person to demand a series of messages a day and at least a single phone call, Patrick," I said disappointedly. "I thought you knew that."

"Lynn," he whispered out in regret.

"I would have completely understood that you wouldn't be able to talk to me since you were getting your fill of your family," I continued. "I totally would have. All you had to do was send a single message, Patrick. Just one saying that you were with your family and that you needed your personal time with them. That's it. I would have gladly left you alone for days."

"I wasn't sure about that then, Lynn," he pleaded.

"And because of that, you weren't willing to try and find out?" I questioned him unbelievingly.

"Analynn..."

"Patrick, let me explain something to you. You didn't call on Saturday, I let it pass. Again, nothing on Sunday. Okay. Monday, nothing. Tuesday, not a word. I let Saturday pass, Patrick, because sometimes things slip from all of our minds. You could have called or texted on Sunday or Monday and things had a good chance of being okay, save for maybe a small talk for leaving me hanging for a couple of days. But all the way until Tuesday and still no word? That's three days, Patrick. Three strikes."

I stared into his blue eyes, seeing nothing but regret and apology within them.

"You're out," I stated with a shrug, my eyes glossing over.

From his seat beside me, he gaped at my words. I began to stand up, my back to him. His hand reached out and grabbed my wrist. Over my shoulder, I looked down at him, for once, being the one to tower over him.

"Analynn," he said, his voice close to a whisper. "You have to forgive me and give me another chance."

I laughed cynically at him. "Another chance? Patrick, I don't think that a good idea. Just like giving you one in the first place clearly wasn't."

"Lynn, you don't understand."

"No, Patrick. I really don't," I hissed. "After I proved myself right that giving you one shot wasn't a good idea, you're trying to make me give you another? I'm a fast learner, Patrick. I never see a point in making the same mistake twice."

"It won't be a mistake, baby," Patrick pleaded.

"Don't call me that," I whispered as I shook my head.

I ripped my wrist from his grasp and quickly made my way to my front door, holding it open for Patrick who was following me slowly. He shook his head once he received the message I was sending and planted his feet into the carpet as he stood by the doorway to my living room. His stance clearly showed that he wasn't ready to leave, his arms crossing over his chest.

"Not a chance, Lynn," he said.

"Patrick, tell me what me to say. Anything at all but to agree to give you another chance. Just tell me and I'll do it," I begged.

"There's nothing else I want."

I shut the door and backed up against it. I let my body slide down against the wood, hugging my knees and pulling them close to me once my butt hit the floor. Tears in my eyes, ones that had been causing my eyes to gloss since I first spotted Patrick outside my door, finally slipped down my cheeks. My forehead made contact with my knees as I gave up. I was tired, my whole day going from wonderful to horrific all in a matter of minutes.