That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 8 - "Neighbor"

I feel like this story is going to be turning out longer than I'll ever expect. Just a feeling or a hunch? So, I'm going to try and get the plot moving along a little more quickly.  

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +  

That Magnetic Pull - Chapter 8 - "Neighbor"

After Patrick left, I lounged around and watched some TV just trying to pass time. After finishing the third episode of Bones during a TV marathon, I suddenly heard a loud bang and I jumped up in surprise. My heart was pounding and I let instinct take over as I rushed to the door and threw it open. I quickly whipped my neck left and right, checking what happened at either way of the hallway. As I looked down the hall, I spotted two men carrying a huge box with another one behind them carrying a large frame of what seemed to be a painting.

"Man, be careful with that!" the guy carrying the picture frame shouted. "That has all my art materials in it! I'd really appreciate not having to buy new ones."

"Why are you even so interested in art?" one guy remarked with a scoff.

They all gradually made their way down the hall towards me, noticing me only when I was less than a few steps from them.

"Uh, hi," I greeted with a timid smile.

"Hey there," said one of them greeted with a smirk, a cocky ego practically oozing from him.

A disgusted look fell on my face making the one carrying the picture frame laugh.

"Hey," picture frame guy said. "I'm guessing you live on this floor?"

I smiled at his more polite tone and answered, "Yeah, and I'm guessing you guys are my new neighbors?"

They all laughed. The one who still hadn't spoken yet mumbled, "I wish."

"Nah," picture frame guy said. "I'm your new neighbor. These guys are my only my friends, though you'll still probably see them around a lot. I'm Matt, by the way."

He set down the frame against the wall opposite my door and offered his hand.

"I'm Lynn," I said, immediately giving him my nickname as I shook his head.

"The one with the huge ego is Brent and the one wishing he lived with me is Franco," Matt added with a chuckle.

Brent sent me a wink and Franco looked away from embarrassment.

"Matt, we're going to bring this in your pad already since it's the last one and I really need to get home," Brent said.

"Sure, man," Matt sent as he turned to Brent.

As Brent and Franco disappeared into the condo next to mine, Matt turned back to me and gave me another one of his nice smiles.

"I'm gonna go drop this off at my condo, but I'd really love to talk to you more," he said honestly.

"Sure," I took his offer immediately. "I'm just lazing away anyway. Just knock on my door when you're outside."

"Sounds great," he said.

As I made my way back into my apartment, I decided to leave the door unlocked. The building already had an impeccable security system, leaving the door unlocked for less than an hour was not going to get me mugged. After a little over 10 minutes, there was a knock on my door and I head Matt yell who he was through the door.

"IT'S OPEN," I yelled back at him.

When he saw me on the couch watching another episode of Bones, he shot me a skeptical look and gestured to the door as he asked me why I left the door unlocked.

I shrugged before saying, "It's not like I was going to leave it unlocked all-day. Plus, I'm here. I think I can defend myself pretty well. Take into account the crime rate in this building and you'll find that it's perfectly fine to leave the door unlocked for a few minutes."

"Is that the real reason?" he asked with a sly smirk.

"Fine, you got me," I relented with a sigh. "I'm just feeling really lazy today. Come sit with me."

He took the beanbag and relaxed into it.

"Don't worry, I locked the door behind me. Even though, you know, I'm here to protect you now and all" he said with a wink. "By the way, your bean bag rocks."

"Thank you very much," I said. "So, where are you moving from, Matt?"

He though about it for a minute, probably picking his words.

"Just around Chicago. I've been living in a practical apartment and I decided that it was time for an upgrade. A friend of mine actually owns the unit next to yours and he's renting it out to me at a reasonable price," he answered. "And you? Have you been here long?"

"Right now, I'm just here for the summer," I said. "I have an internship at an advertising company. I'm still a student."

"Wow, college," he said. "Some of the most memorable times of my life."

"How old are you?" I asked a little hesitantly. Age wasn't a polite thing to ask for.

"23," he said. "Just turned, actually."

"And you're an artist on your free time?" I asked, referring to earlier. By now, I had adjusted myself on the couch to fully face him. I was having a hard time so I offered him a seat on the opposite end of the couch, which he gladly took.

"On my free time, on my not-so free time, and all the time actually," he answered with a laugh. "I'm a freelance designer and artist."

"Must have a really good demand on your work then if you can afford a place like yours next door," I commented, my eyes growing wide as I realized what I had just implied. "No offense."

He chuckled and nodded. "I understand. Even my dad was unsure of whether to support my career path. Art and design is not the most stable career out there, that's for sure," he said. "But I'm doing good at it. The demand for my work is good and I have a couple of companies that offer me work repeatedly."

"Life must be good for you then," I concluded.

"You could say that," he said.

"Some things are still missing, you know?" he said with a chuckle.

"Something always seems to be missing," I said with a wink.

"Nah," he said with a shake of his head. "I believe that there's a point in all our lives where things will seem complete."

"I guess," I spoke with a shrug. "Do you want anything to drink or eat?" I asked him.

"A soda would be great," he replied with a sweet smile, which I returned.

I grabbed a couple bag or chips from the kitchen and a couple cans of soda just so I wouldn't have to make repeated trips. Matt seemed to have guessed the reason for the arms filled with soda and chips and helped me set them on the coffee table.

"So, you just want to hang and lounge around with me?" I asked.

"Sure," Matt said. "I love Bones and I haven't got my cable set up yet. So TV, food, drinks, and company...you really expect me to turn that down?" He chuckled.

I laughed at his reasoning, already beginning to like his personality. As we settled in for the Bones marathon that was sure to run the whole day, I smirked as I began the counter for questions he was going to ask me throughout his stay for the day.

It was nearing 6 pm when Matt finally left. He had to work a bit on a painting, the one I saw him carrying in earlier. I completed the marathon and glanced at the clock, seeing that it was five minutes until midnight. When I was snuggled into my bed and felt sleep already tugging at me, I realized that Patrick hadn't called.

Strike one.  

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +  

A/N:  

NEW CHARACTER!  

What's his importance? Is he going to cause some trouble? Hmm...  

Vote and Comment?  

Please?  

<3