Random Story

I don't really know what this is. I just started writing.

     In the middle of a large open field covered in that year's grain harvest, a five year old James Haldwell swung his wooden stick around at the evil monsters surrounding him. He swung left and right, cutting through their various limbs and occasionally nailing one in the chest. He yelled a "Hiyah!" as he finished the last one off. He put his makeshift weapon in the rope belt that girded his waist. James turned around to face his friend Aleva, also five years old. "I don't think the beasts will be bothering you anymore, ma'am." He then bowed overdramatically.

     "Thank you. But you really didn't need to. They were imaginary, and on top of that, Jedi don't just go around killing anything that opposes them." She shook her head and smiled. James was not really sure what to think of her words, but he took her smile as a sign that she thought he was being funny, at least. He had always wanted to be a Jedi; he had even developed a daily training regiment. He had never felt a connection to the Force, but that did not keep him from hoping.

     "Oh, but we all have monsters inside us. And I want to be there to fight yours for you." He looked into his friend's eyes with all seriousness. "No one should have to fight their monsters alone."

     "Thank you again, James." She seemed unsure of what to say next. "It's getting late, we should go back home."

     "Agreed." James replied. After checking his wooden weapon, the pair started the walk up the hill that led to the fair sized mansion owned by James's parents. As they walked, the pinkish sun slowly set at their backs; the last of its heat slowly vanishing from their necks.

][

     A few weeks later, Aleva had come running to James's house. She pressed the intercom and asked for entrance. Seconds after the fact, James opened the door. "What is it Aleva? Is something wrong?"

     She swallowed, recovering from her run, and shook her head no. "No, I just ran here from my house," she stopped to breathe, "there was a man. A...Jedi. He came to talk to my parents. About me."

     It took James a few moments to fully understand what this meant, "Wait, you don't mean...?"

     "Yes!" Aleva said excitedly, she was all but jumping up and down.

     "I'm so happy for you, Aleva! I always knew there was something unique about you!" James could not help but feel a little bit jealous, but he was mostly happy for her.

     "Thank you!" Her face changed to a slightly grim expression. "But, if I leave to become a Jedi, then I won't ever be able see you again."

     "Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about that." James's expression became saddened as well. "Maybe we'll meet each other again one day, out in the galaxy. I mean, you don't expect me to stick around this old planet my whole life, do you?"

     Aleva laughed at his statement. "Very true. Maybe we will one day, just maybe."

     "I would hope so, I don't want either of us to be alone out there." James was not normally so solemn, but he knew that Aleva becoming a Jedi would be a huge change in both their lives and he wanted to make the most of their last moments together.

     "Neither do I." She paused. "My mom gave me a few minutes to come talk to you, but the Jedi is still waiting for me. I have to go."

      "Oh, okay. I guess I'll be seeing you then, hopefully." When he saw Aleva move to head back out the door, he called out, "Wait! Actually, I have something to give you." James took his left hand and brought it to his right wrist. He carefully unclasped the bracelet and handed it to her. "It was my father's and his father's before him. I want you to have it to remember me by, and so I will know it's you when we meet again."

     Aleva gingerly reached out and took the bracelet from him. She looked at its lacquered wooden surface with its intricate patterns. The most noticeable of these was a cross with an orange gem in the center and surrounded by engraved rays of a golden metal. "Thank you, James. I don't know what to say...this is yours, and it's a family heirloom. I shouldn't take it."

     "No, take it. It's mine, so it's mine to give if I choose." James gave her a look that almost dared her to try and refuse.

     "Alright," she put it on her right wrist, being careful not to scratch it or damage it. "Thank you, I will wear it and remember our friendship." She then wrapped her arms around her best friend and hugged him before running back outside, to become a Jedi.

     James looked after her as she proudly strode away. He was very happy for her. But he was still sad that she was leaving. He always saw her as a pure person and constantly true to her beliefs. He hoped she would stay that way, as that is how he would always remember her.