Age and Jedi Fights: A Star Wars Theory

starwarsfangirl4life, here's a theory if you're interested.

   I would like to explain what I think to be a logical explanation of why Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber skills seemed to decrease so much between the Prequels and the Original Trilogy of Star Wars.

     First of all I would like to clarify that I am well aware of the order in which the movies were made, but since the movies are classified as canon...why not make up theories about it!? Also, this will not be the most in-depth theory you will read, mainly because I am new to theory making, and because there is not that much to support it in the first place.

     Now for the theory! I suggest that, in the Prequels, the Jedi were more of a young, warrior-based group, due to the constant threat of war that the Order faced in both the Old Republic and Rise of the Empire eras. This would incline the Order to be more focused on lightsabers as their primary weapon and the Force as a secondary weapon. That would be an understandable reason why the lightsaber duel between the two was so much more active and intense.

     Whereas, in the Original Trilogy, when the duels were less intense, it was because the Force was the primary weapon. And the lightsabers were simply a distraction for each other and the audience. If you think about it it does make some sense. After the wars where the Order was directly involved (and the Order was practicality eliminated) there just was not much need for a laser sword wielding warrior of destruction. In addition to that, the remaining Jedi were largely trying to stay hidden and the glowing blade of a Jedi was well known throughout the galaxy. Thus prompting an era of the Force.

     From this point of view, we can assume that during the Vader-Kenobi fight, the power of the Force was most prominent

     From this point of view, we can assume that during the Vader-Kenobi fight, the power of the Force was most prominent. The duelists may have been using many mental attacks and counterattacks, suggestions and neutralizations during the more fencing like duel (also: fencing requires quite a bit of skill, and it is very strategic in a true duel). Would this not be a more awesome explanation for the somewhat drab (but no less epic; I have no qualms about it) fight?

     I will go a little but deeper into the three main characters who seemed to be lacking in lightsaber skills through the Original Trilogy:

  Old Ben/Obi-Wan Kenobi: We are mostly all aware of Kenobi's mission to remain as a hermit on Tatooine to watch over Luke. But what about his free time? Would it make sense that he studied the Force and discovered new ways to utilize it? I think so. If you consider his actions in a New Hope, such as his Krayt Dragon roar and mind tricks. His tactics were much more based on distraction, deception, and survival than they were previously. A sign of his changed training in the desert? Maybe!

  Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: Well...he spent many years after the execution of Order 66 mercilessly hunting down and outright murdering the only remaining survivors of the Jedi, which would gain him much experience in the Force, and, let's face it, he was old and slow and relied on a suit of armor all the time. So basically the same as Ben but more violent.

  Luke Skywalker: I didn't really mention him before but he was the only other person to really wield a blade in the Original Trilogy. He was young and full of potential. So why wasn't he that great at lightsaber dueling? I say because of his training. He spent some time on the Falcon learning different combat techniques, but that is not enough to become a master like Ben and Vader. And his training on Dagobah with Yoda was​ mostly inward, Force, spirit, endurance type stuff. So not a lot for his saber skills there either. On top of that he was a Skywalker and strong in the Force and in piloting, not known for lightsaber skills.

 On top of that he was a Skywalker and strong in the Force and in piloting, not known for lightsaber skills

Well, hope you liked it and may the Lord/Force be with you!

And remember, with age comes wisdom!