Chapter 6 ~ Watching Me

Mulai dari awal

“Shade, Shade, Shade.” Mirah shook her head and let go of Shade’s hand. She slipped past Shade and got closer to Nixie’s face. She ran a gentle hand down the side of her face and smiled. “I think it best you stay out of this. It does not concern you.”

“Nixie is my friend. Of course this concerns me.” Mirah rolled her eyes at Shade and checked Nixie’s pulse rate and temperature.

“So, what are your plans?” Shade leaned in to whisper the question in Mirah’s ear.

“Why should I tell you?” Mirah looked at Shade questioningly. Shade shrugged and walked off to the other side of the room. She opened the curtain and let some of the bright white light shine in.

“Because I’m in the middle of this. Whether you like it or not Mirah, I got involved the minute she busted you out of White Noise.”

Mirah pulled Nixie’s pants leg back down as Shade turned back to look at her.

“Alona will be heart-broken over this, Mirah.” Shade’s disappointment came through loud and clear.

She will be fine, Shade. If she could let me rot in that prison and have so very little faith in me, in my feelings, in us, then she does not deserve my consideration.”Mirah’s face had hardened at the mention of Alona. Her fists had balled up tightly and her nails dug into the soft flesh of her palms.

“Alo-…” Footsteps could be heard just outside of the entrance to the suite.

Mirah’s eyes widened before she slipped past Shade, whispering one last sentence in her ear. When Shade could overcome the shock of what she’d heard she turned back to see that the window was slightly more open than it had been. Mirah had left.

“Shade, what are you staring at? Why is the window open?” Alona made her way quickly to the open window and shut it. She turned back to see that Shade was still a bit zoned-out. “Shade? Hello, is everything okay?” Alona waved her hand in front of Shade’s face.

“What?” Shade jumped back into reality and noticed who was standing in front of her. “I’m fine, I’m fine, don’t worry about it. Just a bit shocked by this whole ordeal is all. Where’ve you been?” Alona looked a bit sceptically at her before shaking her head and smiling.

“Just took a walk around the hospital, ran into some old friends. I got us both some coffee, thought you might want some too.” She pointed towards the stand next to Nixie’s bed that had two take-away coffee cups on top of it.

“Coffee sounds great.” Shade smiled and grabbed for her cup.

“Yeah, it does.” Nixie’s voice rose from the bed and both Shade and Alona scrambled to get closer to her. “You better be careful, if you open your eyelids up any more your eyes will pop out.” Nixie smiled up at the two fumbling girls above her. This bed really was too low.

“You’re awake.” Alona’s smile brightened.