I sighed heavily, on purpose so they could know I was annoyed. Didn't seem to matter. All eyes were still narrowed on me. "This is not a democracy. This is a dictatorship." I flung my arm out emphasizing my power.

   They all rolled their eyes snorting. "You are not Rick, sis." Christian leaned back into the wall, Christy curled to his side.

   I thought I did a better job than Rick off The Walking Dead. I guess I wasn't the best actress.

   "How do you make comedy out of the most serious situations?" Madison sat on the bed next to her daughter, Brennon and the girls.

   I shrugged. "You prefer me to relive every negative moment over and over again with tears and detailed stories?"

   "No," Christy muttered out instantly. "Please spare us."

   I crossed my arms. "Look. I prefer to know we're like ninety-nine percent safe and able to bolt out together rather than be split in half and our chances drop to like seventy-five percent chance of total safety."

The way I explained it made sense to me and I didn't care if it made sense to them or not. I grabbed my katana heading to the front door. "I'm going to do a quick patrol before it gets completely dark outside."

I peeked through the window. The police car was parked facing in.

"Come on guys. I only ask that you park the car facing out. We save ten, fifteen seconds that way." I sneered walking out. I avoided slamming the door only because I didn't want to bring attention our way. "I'm getting tired of telling them," I told myself out of frustration.

It was stressful having other lives in my hands. Always on edge waiting for the big shoe to drop sort of feeling. A few weeks of travel, we were now outside of Santa Barbara. It took us time with the rerouting. The freeway was the last place anyone should drive through. Cars piled up like a parking lot and the dead swarming like a herd hoping to find someone stupid enough to come their way.

I held my katana firmly, walking next to the room next door. The blinds were open and light left on. The bed wasn't made and a suitcase was scattered on the floor. Other than that, it looked untouched by zombies. I'd come back to that later. Perhaps if I felt like being nice I'd do something about giving a space room. Just not in the normal way.

I checked the front desk. "Nope. Nothing here." I continued through to the attendant back office when I'm sure the attendant and manager hid from unwanted guest during the middle of the night. I opened the door getting welcomed by a stench of rotten flesh. "Yep. Definitely saw that coming."

In a chair slumped over was a man, skin ashen grey and stiffer than a mans junk on an erection. Bad image I gave myself there. I took a moment to fantasize about pussy so the the other thingy could exit my brain.

There was a shotgun on the floor next to his feet. His body was slouched out, arms draped over; head hung back. Getting back to his head; half of his face was missing. Blood was splattered on the back of the wall all over.

I reached down for the shotgun checking how many rounds he had left. "Excellent." I searched the rest of the office finding a full box of shotgun rounds. There was a small first aid kit along with a box of crackers.

"Christmas is here." Realistically, it was the end of August.

I'd been guilted to come here by my brother, Christian after being away much longer than he'd wanted. Away at College the last thing I expected to experience on my summer break was a virus outbreak that turned people into flesh eating zombies. But I found this to be serious luck that the one year I finally come back this happens.