I'll Be There.

{ August. }

When I got to Malenda's house, the outside of it looked still and quiet. I sighed in deep thought while pulling in her driveway. I parked before unstrapping the twins out of their carseats in the back. I grabbed both of their hands as I walked up to the front porch. After knocking, I waited for her to answer the door. When she did, she looked tired and depressed. When she realized it was me standing at the door, she rubbed her eyes and stepped back sucking her teeth.

"August, what do you want? I don't want to deal with anymore negative shit with you."  She groaned. She sounded like she had been crying. Soon, Melonie and Jr., who were hiding behind me, stepped out and jumped on her causing her to stumble back a little. "I thought I heard my babies giggling. How are my babies doing?" Malenda kissed their faces over and over.

"Good." The twins both said in unison.

"That's good. Y'all go ahead and take your coats off, and sit down on the couch." she instructed the twins patting their butts to do so. I raised one eyebrow at her like she was crazy. I know this girl wasn't about to let me stand out here all day now.

"You gon' let me in or you just gon' let me stand out here all day?" I asked annoyed.

"Well first off, I'm gon' need for you to try that again with some more respect." She said putting one hand on her hip. She arched one of her eyebrows and eyed me down.

"Malenda stop playing these fucking games, and let me in the gotdamn house! Shit, I wouldn't have even came here if it weren't for Melonie beggin' for yo ass." I snapped.

"First off, watch your tone. You need to stop all that gotdamn cursin' around my fuckin' children." She whispered loudly gritting her teeth. "Now you can come at me more respectfully or get the fuck off my porch. I don't even know why you comin' here startin' bullshit with me at 2:30 in the afternoon."

Malenda was plucking my last nerve at the moment. I really didn't have time to hear her yapping about nothing. With ease, I picked her up and moved her out of the way. I could feel her small, but powerful, hits on my back demanding for me to put her down. I looked at her and laughed.

"You're still child-like and naïve, Karter." I smirked then put her down as she was ready to charge after me. I grabbed her cast-free arm with a good grip. "Better watch yo'self. Don't get your other arm broken tryna fight my ass," I warned her. She glared at me intensely.

I then noticed that the kids were upstairs playing. I could hear their child-like playful giggles as I looked back at Malenda. She was still glaring at me, and her breathing was uneven. I stared back at her with a nonchalant facial expressio, which I knew was itchin' her nerves. I could then see the slightly red tint coming across her forehead. Without purposely trying, she was at her weakest point and I knew it.

She squealed and balled her fist up almost having a temper tantrum. She sat down on the couch, placing her head on her legs. Her right leg was shaking violently until I heard her sniffing. I scoffed and sighed.

"C'mon Malenda. Don't even start all that cryin'." I said looking at her. She paid me no mind and sat there silently crying. To me, it looked like she was going to explode any minute. I sighed shifting my weight from one leg to the other. I was actually starting to feel bad for how the way I came at her door. "Malenda," I called to her. No answer. Nothing but silent crying and her legs shaking. I stared at her for a long time, and she was still crying.

"Malenda, don't start this." I said sitting down next to her. She refused to let any sounds escape her lips as I heard her sniff more and more. I couldn't stand seeing Malenda crying this bad despite the fact that we weren't on good terms right now. I pulled her up and sat her down on my lap and held her close to my chest. I know I've said some fucked up shit to her, and she's gone through so much, but I really don't want her to think I won't be there for her. I will do anything for her in a heartbeat.