Broken Promises.

Malenda.

"Hey Mama." I greeted her over the phone.

"Hey, Malenda. I was wondering could you come to this cookout because August can't make it, and I want to see my grandbabies? "

"No problem. I'll be on my way in a few." I hung up the phone. "Come children. Were going to Grandma's house." I yelled and they came running down stairs.

~

"That food was really good."  I continued to lick my lips. That chicken was delicious..

"I know. I put my foot in it." Mama laughed.

"I hope no-" Chandra was cut off by the front door closing. We all turned around seeing none other than August in the flesh. "Damn." Cha mumbled. I instantly froze up. It had been 2 years since I last saw him.

As soon as August made eye contact with me, his smile vanished. "Well look what the cat dragged in."

I rolled my eyes. Same old August. I guess it's true when they say some things never change, and some people never grow up.

"Uncle August!" Kay came running down the stairs with her sisters and the twins right behind her.

"Oh it's about to be some shit." Chandra whispered. Mama and I both nodded our heads in agreement.

August scooped Kay up in his arms. "I missed y'all." He hugged the girls, looked at the twins, and then back at me.

He slightly laughed shaking his head then his face went back to serious. "I know that ain't who I think it is." August shook his head.

Jr. crawled over to me. I grabbed his coat and put it on him. "Come here Melonie." She walked over to me, and I put on her coat as well. "I'll be seeing you guys later. Say bye to Grandma kids."

The kids said bye, and we left.

~

I woke up to loud banging on the door. I jumped up from my bed and walked to the front door. Who the hell is this? I looked through the peephole and saw August. The fuck? I opened the door slightly because I really didn't want him coming in, but he pushed the door back, hitting me with it, and slammed it behind him.

"Yeah, come right on in August." I said sarcastically.

August glared at me. "Why would you lie to me about my kids? That's trifling ass hell. "

"I have my reasons. Now please leave."

"Bitch I ain't leaving till' I get ready."

Pause.

Rewind.

Play.

Did he just call me a bitch? This would now be the second time August has called me out my name.

"Yes, I called you a bitch, ho-" Before he could even get hoe out of his mouth, I charged at him punching him in the face. I was tired of men always disrespecting me. August grabbed one of my hands, and I pulled it away punching him again. He grabbed my arm again and twisted it pulling it back. I heard the bone pop, and he pushed me down on the floor. Pain surged through out my whole arm and tears welled up in my eyes. "You gone learn to keep your hands to yourself."

"Ugh! You broke my freaking arm!" I yelled out crying.

I sat on the floor crying. My arm hurt so bad.

"Mama you okay?" Melonie came into view. I wiped my eyes.

"Go get my phone." She went and grabbed my phone from the room and gave it to me. I tried my best and dialed Mama Sheila with my left hands as I possibly could. It was hard because I was right handed. I called her and told her what had happened, and she was on her way.

When she made it, I was so thankful for her. August had left before she arrived, but I told her to take the kids to her house for the night.

"You sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah I will." Mama left with the kids, and I stayed. I know what you're thinking. I was dumb, but I was in love. I wasn't going to go to the hospital tonight. I would wait until in the morning and get Ty to take me so I would have time to think of a lie. I slowly got up off the floor getting up and moved to the couch. I decided to sleep there for the night.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, I heard the front door open again. "You thought I was gone?" I heard the familiar voice of August. I rolled my eyes. He was so childish. "I can't believe you would do something like this." August sat on the other end of the couch taking something out of his pocket and sitting it on his lap. "I thought we could work this out and be a family. You could've been my wife, but this is beyond disrespectful. You just keep my kids from me because of your own selfish reasons. You know I ain't have my pops in my life, and I wanted to be there for them, but your trifling ass wanted to lie. You lied to my face and told me you had a miscarriage when all this time they've been alive. You turned my own mother against me. You blackmailed her so she could see her grand children. " August shook his head. "I was tryna wife you up, but you just wanted to be a trifling ass baby mama. " August threw a velvet box at me before leaving and slamming the door once again.

I slowly opened the box seeing it was a wedding ring.

~

"Bitch I'm here." Ty called out.

I came out of my room. "I'm ready." I said lowly.

"Damn cheer up. I'm here now. Give me a hug." I rejected Ty's hug.

She looked at me funny. "What's wrong?"

I sighed and told her the whole story about what had happened last night. She stood starring at me for a minute before grabbing my arm and dragging me to the car. She had no type of sympathy.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To beat August light skin ass. I told you not to mess with them lightskins."

"Okay first of all, I need to go to the hospital. Second of all, you hooked me up with him. Third of all, let it go please."

"No, and you can wait a little longer to go to the hospital. You waited all night." The ride to August house was silent. When we pulled up, Ty wasted no time getting out of  the car and walking up to the door banging on it.

August opened the door smiling as if nothing happened last night. "Hey Ty." He waved at her before he looked over to me. "Malenda."

"Bitch don't 'hey' me. Bring your ass outside, and come get this ass whooping." Ty backed up and posted up. "Hold up, hold my phone." She took her phone out of her bra and handed it to me.

August laughed. "I have company. "

That only made Ty more hyped. "You got a hoe inside?!? Tell her to come out and get her ass whooped too."