51 - Who Killed My Son?! / 52 - I Wish I Could Have / 53 - Where Are The Others?

Chapter 51 - Who Killed My Son?!

Seraphim Zephyr - POV;

"My lord, an update," one of our youngest forensics said as he approached me bowing.

"Speak," I grunted, hands folded over the hilt of my katana as I stood looking over the surrounding forests, my back straight and head held high.

"We performed some tests on the blood and finger prints scattered around the area. We can confirm that one particularly large pool belonged to the woman whom had been squatting on this land. An Ailani I believe. Judging by the copious amounts, I would say that it is almost guaranteed that she is dead. We also confirmed the presence of her four children, two blood related and two fostered. In respect to the fallen Shadow and Ice vessels we had deployed, one was mauled beyond recognisation while only the lower half of the second was found. Reguarding your son, we have confirmed that he is infact deceased and estimated date of death was about three days ago. Cause of death is due to the forceful removal of his heart from his body," he explained.

I laughed as I turned to him but this quickly changed as I stared daggers into him with an expression boasting pure wrath. "Do I look like I care about the cause of death? TELL ME WHO AND HOW!! I want a God damned explanation for this? Who the hell was strong enough to kill Incendio?!" I roared.

"S-sorry Sir! We'll get right on it Sir! M-may I take my leave sir?" he stuttered, clearly shaken up by the ordeal.

"Get the hell out of here already!" I demanded as the frightened youth scampered away.

"Father, you are taking out your anger and frustration on the wrong people. They are just as shaken up as you are, if not more so. You are being irrational at this point," Catherine scolded.

"What? Am I? Am I really?! There is nothing logical about any of this!" I boomed as I pointed to the land which once stood as a proud town but was now coated in debris and corpses.

"Demon dogs don't just come out of nowhere and attack people! And this is the thirty-second case we have of them doin so? What is there to be rational about?!" I shouted, "Incendio was no normal man. He was always only two steps behind Kristæl in raw power but held so much more in kindness, humility and compassion! Even so, he had become stronger than Kristæl was at the time he died. A normal person can't just kill a man like that!"

"I agree with you on that front father-in-law. To take down my brother-in-law is far from an easy feat. Many could even say it was impossible. However, whatever or whoever did it was anything but your average person. We found deep claw marks penetrating straight through Incendio's shoulder and this would have undoubtedly worsened his ability. But for Incendio to let down his guard enough to be struck like that means he was with someone he trusted and felt comfortable with," Catherine deduced.

"But that's impossible. Incendio never trusted nor was fond of most of the lower Vessels of the clan, especially not the two we dispatched with him," I gritted my teeth.

"Regulus Seraphim, sir. Lady Catherine. We have discovered something that you might want to see," another of my clansmen informed us. We followed him through the town's land to the mangled remains of the Library.

"Did you all destroy every piece and scrap of the literature stored within?" I enquired.

"We did my lord," he confirmed, "however we stumbled upon this while we were searching."