162 - Hellish Reality

Dagan Zephyr - POV;

"Knock! Knock!"

"........................"

"Knock! Knock! Knock!"

"....................................."

"Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock! Knock!"

".............................................................."

"Dagan!"

I jumped as the door flung open and a female voice shouted my name. I raised my head in her direction and as my eyes slowly adjusted from the previously dark room to the light streaming in through the ajar entrance, I recognised the distinct figure of Alva Zephyr, the eldest of Zephyr's Epitomes. I lowered my gaze once more, losing myself in my thoughts for the millionth time.

A month had gone by since the day of the Tournament's Grand Finale; since the terrible attack that changed the course of history. Blaze had succeeded in enacting their revenge on the Fenix Clan. No one could stop them. With Duran Blaze at the helm, they razed Fenix City to the ground. Nary a building stood on the wastelands that was once a thriving metropolis. Tallies were still ongoing but so far an estimated five hundred thousand deaths were recorded including some ninty percent of the members of the Fenix Clan, tens of thousands of assorted members from other visiting clans and most of the population of the city itself.

Lord Grisha Astra and Lord Damon Neptulus faced Rugulus Blaze themselves and from what we had heard, the battle was a tremendous one, however in the end they could not overcome his awesome prowess. By the time they were found, Regulus Damon was pronounced dead and Regulus Grisha, who barely clung to life was warded in critical condition where he has been comatose since. That was only the beginning of our hell....

They went with the greatest of intentions and hearts of lionesses but ultimately, Indira and Aquarius were overwhelmed by the Children of Azazel. When their corpses were pulled from the debris, chills reverberated through all of Zephyr and mourning as well as shock was heard the world over. Aurora's whereabouts remained a mystery, as no one had heard from her since her own battle. The Earth itself seemed to tremble, fearing the shift of powers to come. With the Regulus line of Neptulus eradicated, all of Fenix decimated and Astra worse for wear there would surely be a great shift in the balance of strength globally.

Blaze themselves drove every common man, woman, animal and child into subservient fear. They rose to uncontested strength immediately with the combined powers of Duran's Mythical Vessel and Zephyrus' partial reincarnation in Nero's body, a being that would be known as Neo-Zephyrus. Most of the Elemental Clans opted to turn a blind eye to safeguard themselves from Blaze's wrath. Even the World Heirarchy themselves pulled many of their people who were scattered throughout the countries back to their base at Great Zenith, under the guise of a strategic gathering for plan formulation. Zephyr was perhaps the only of the Earth's great powers to prepare to push back against the threat. Whether that was by choice or we had no other option, i couldn't say. Only Regulus Seraphim knew this.

Regardless, Blaze seemed to be stalling and biding their time at the moment, making no significant moves for some time despite taking up residence in the public eye. It was almost as if they knew they wouldn't be touched at their current heights and so they set out to mock us all with their standings, but at the same time it felt as if they were looking for the ideal and most opportune time to strike.

"Dagan, you can't stay locked away like this forever," Alva stated worriedly. I didn't respond, not because of rude intention but rather I didn't have the mental will to do as much.

"I know that this whole thing has been hard on you Dagan but we're all worried about you. You haven't been eating or drinking... you've lost so much weight... this has been a taxing time for everyone. Please don't add to your own troubles and their worries by doing this to yourself. I can't watch you just waste away in here," Alva said as she held my arm and led me outside, "Come on, let's go get you some nutrition."

I followed her, unwilling but showing no resistance to her tug. It wouldn't be long before I emtered a room where a number of gloomy faces had gathered. As I witnessed the bothered likes of Fira, Rydia, Storm and Satella, I was reminded of greatest tragedy of all; one which was at a personal level and as such it stung more than any laceration and open woun: the loss of Evelynn and the betrayal of our former leader, Xyder Zephyr.

Since the day Xyder took off with Cheryl, Sorine, Celes, Winter and Disas none of us could make contact with any of them. Jacqueline had also disappeared following the events and as such, we six were all that were left of our travelling friend group, with Rydia, Fira, Alva and myself comprising the remaining Epitomes of Zephyr. Needless to say, our morale was at an all time low.

For the murder of Zacharias Fenix and a number of his clansmen, Xyder was branded a Rogue Vessel and declared an enemy of the World Heirarchy. Any attempts from us to hide or protect him would result in Zephyr being branded as a traitor and a threat... though it wasn't as if we could aid him in the first place. He had run off to the beat of his own drum; one whose sound we could not hear to give chase.

We were at a loss. Our hope had dwindled away into nothing especially after our briefing with the Regulus of Zephyr himself. Our reality had become an incarnation of hell itself and there was nothing we could do to change that. We were powerless before the likes of Blaze. Losing the strength of Evelynn and Sorine along with Xyder was a definite blow to our forces and the potential we saw in the likes of Jacqueline and the others was now wasted.

"Here, have this," Alva said, holding a small sandwich and a glass with what seemed to be a wispy, cloudy liquid; likely the water of a coconut.

"I'm fine," I muttered.

"Eat," she insisted, practically forcing them into my hands. With a low sigh, I brought it to my lips. To my surprise, the others seemed at least a bit relieved by this.

"Good to see you coming around again, bud," Storm called out with a smile.

"That's one extra breath of fresh air that we can take," Fira half-grinned.

I merely nodded, still unsure of myself and our situation.

"But we can't pretend that things are any better," Rydia said in a low tone.

"Rydia... we have to be optimistic," Satella spoke up.

"I mean, I have to agree with her though. We all heard what Regulus Zephyr said. There is nothing good left to hold on to," Fira hissed.

Their sentiments were more than understandable, especially as the events of that day flocked back to my memory....