58. Onyx City Gods (TU)

TITLE: Onyx City Gods
AUTHOR: @MrSanguine
REVIEWER: @CodeScarlet
GENRE: The Unknown

Onyx City Gods is a diamond in the rough. It combines various paranormal elements with supernatural characters and a small bit of family drama to bring together one big, epic story. This book defines the art that is dark fantasy, and in an exceptional way at that.

It displays an attractive cover and plot that undoubtedly sparks curiosity in reader's minds. The characters bring a few feels and many laughs. And the first chapter manages to establishes a meaningful connection within a little over two - thousand words. Sure the chapters a little long, but they keep you entertained!

Even though the author does a stellar job at keeping the writing minimalist and neat, I feel that things were only scratching the surface. Descriptions tend to stay more on the literal side rather than delve deeper into psychological aspects. Of course, not everything needs to be polished, but important things that you want readers to remember do.

One thing to keep in mind when writing in first person, is that your character has feelings, emotions and personality. If they're feeling a bit sad, use words that convey sadness when they're talking to someone and internally monologuing. If they're passionate about a certain thing, make them refer to it often and take time to admire it. Every character has a certain perspective. Give them some more thought and soon, they'll be writing all by themselves!

Overall, I think it wins me over with an eight out of ten. I applaud the efforts made in this book. The wild world of Onyx City strays far from cliches; there's new people, new crowds and new stories! The book itself is cliche breaker by bringing a new scene to the fantasy genre. It's a bit on the dark side but if that's your thing then go for it!