45. The Butterfly Effect (TO)

Author: carikavanlog

Genre: The Otherworldly

Reviewed by: squirrelg

First impressions:

The cover is really beautiful, but doesn't really give me much information about the story I'm about to read. I'd assume that "the butterfly effect" is more of a metaphor than a tangible thing in the book, so the (although pretty) woman with the butterfly elicits appreciation for art from me instead of interest in a potential story. It is a very well-done cover though.

The blurb sums up the main aspects of your story nicely: slavery, a quest and a turnaround of events. It is well-written, but missing a bit of suspense for me. Personally, things only get exciting in the last paragraph of your blurb—the first part is very much declarative and although it offers an insight into the world, it could use a bit more pizazz in my opinion.

(This actually sounded worse than I meant... Sorry, I just like to be detailed with anything constructive!)

Descriptions/pacing:

Your descriptions are beautiful! Everything flows very nicely and I have no complaints about your language. You begin with a good, steady fast pace, which I love. The chapters have substance, and you end with good cliffhangers (I especially loved the bomb about the mother)!

Plot/concept:

I was really intrigued by the magic system from the start. You dropped hints here and there in the prologue that were very, very mysterious but interesting! The magic system seems very unique; it's like nothing I've ever seen. You have a detailed world built with awesome creatures I haven't heard of. Same with the belief system. It seems very earthly and natural. Love it!

However, due to the complexity of the world-building, sometimes it feels like there's too much to take in. For example, I was a bit overwhelmed when you introduced the Threads of Fate. It's a complex thing you've made up and throwing a pretty detailed explanation when you've just introduced the ila and two new characters is a tad much, although I really like the idea. I did understand the concept after the initial shock, though, so there's nothing wrong with your explanations. Things like the Elders, Vävaren's origins were a little sudden as well.

Characters/dialogue:

Vävaren (had to whip out my Finnish keyboard for the ä, lol) is a solid character right from the beginning. She is intelligent, capable and good company! You describe her abilities, personality and relationships with others effectively and I congratulate you on that.

You did introduce a bunch of side characters in the first chapter, which confused me. I have a terrible memory so the new names and identities got mixed up with each other when I was still trying to remember what the main character was like. Same with the Elders meeting. Too many names all at once.

The dialogue is solid and tells the reader about the characters! I found Vävaren's speech refreshing and the way that Colin spoke made me not like him that much. Well done!

Breaking clichés:

I actually think you've broken a lot of clichés in this book. The name of the main character is definitely one! I haven't met anyone called Vävaren (or Demarion) and I don't think I will. The world is very unique as well and your magic system is not like any I've ever seen.

I'm not sure if it's a cliché, but as with a lot of fantasy stories, there's a lot to explain in terms of the world-building. Sometimes one can get a little lost in the information. Also, a small cliché: Colin sounds like the typical male character who is sarcastic but is close to the main character. Otherwise, I didn't see any clichés!

You've done a great job and have a great book on your hands (and people's virtual shelves)! I have enjoyed reading it!