13. Dare Me To Live (MH)

Title: Dare Me To Live

Author: @redasnight

Genre: Metaphor Heavy

Reviewed by: theemmpress

Very brief synopsis: Starting college is tough enough, without having PTSD to deal with. Will Dash be able to build a new life and new relationships when her mind is working against her?

Review: This is a beautifully written book, dealing with the difficult emotions of the everyday for a freshman college student who recently lived through the traumatic death of her best friend. The characters and their situations are portrayed in a realistic yet poignant way, and the action is subtle yet meaningful.

The writer portrays the unfurling story in a naturalistic, conversational style that is very easy to read, and allows the reader to feel they are up close, watching the action unfold.

The tone and setting have a mumblecore (if you're unfamiliar with that term, that's a compliment. It's a genre of independent film that's worth looking up) vibe that's very engaging and makes for a pleasant and engrossing read. It's not particularly metaphor heavy, but that's not a criticism per se.

There are some really beautiful, writerly turns of phrase, which in my opinion are the biggest draw of the book when it comes to breaking cliches. Mental illness and emotional difficulties are also portrayed in a non-dramatic, subtle and sympathetic way.

Tips for improvement: This was a nice read, so I have very little here, to be honest - which is a great compliment in and of itself. I'd be tempted to introduce Venessa slightly earlier, just by reference, as her suddenly having a friend she was on her way to visit was a tiny bit jarring. The action is also quite slow and the writing could be tightened, but the gentle, meandering rhythm of the book is also quite charming, so you're on a tightrope not to tighten too much and loose that.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic read and highly recommended, well done!