3. The Seventh Side (TO)

Title: The Seventh Side

Author: LizPer7

Genre: The Otherworldly

Reviewed by: WendyKopulchu

Something about Chapter One, a scene where a kid spends his savings on a statuette, is intriguing, though unfortunately, negatively overshadowed by the prologue. The prologue is very cliche, mainly at a syntactical level, but also not terribly interesting story-wise. It starts with an ominous voice pouring exposition onto a page without setting. We are vaguely told of a curse that afflicts a town without any type of reason, setting, or time frame to ground it. Halfway through, a hasty setting is established, complete with the overdone "boy likes girl" bit told from a point of view that doesn't come up again.

As I said before, Chapter One is stronger than the introduction, but the following chapter falls right back into the cliche. I get the sense that the author has big plans for her story, but it is still clearly in its beginning stages.

Note for the author:
I know this seems a little harsh but I hope it doesn't discourage you. I'm the brutally honest one ;) And sugar coated compliments never helped anybody. By highlighting blemishes, my intent is to help you improve. Your biggest flaws are that you fall into over-familiar phrases, word choice, and situations. You also need more description. I hope this helped :)