13 | sorry ma'am

I'm sorry Ma'am- I mean Mum!
__________
S O N G :
Notion by Tash Sultana
__________
K A T A R I N A

Monday Morning
5:30am

As I was peacefully sleeping, I was suddenly awaken by the sound of vomitting (barfing? In America I think), so I quickly got up and went straight to my mother's room.

I put her hair up in a bun, with a elastic I had on my wrist," Thank you," I hear her groan out.

"It's okay," I mutter, while rubbing her back.

As she continues to vomit in the toilet, I go downstairs to get her a full glass of water.

"Here you go mum," I say, passing her the glass. She quietly thanks me and drinks the water in one gulp.

"So.. how many months, or weeks are you?" I ask her.

She looks up at me in surprise, but she quickly masks it with a forced grin," 5 weeks," she states.

"Have you gone to an ultrasound?"

She bites her bottom lip," Not yet.. but I will soon," she says, sounding afraid.

"Nope. We're going today, mum," I think it's best if check on baby today, but after I finish school or something.

Before she opens her mouth and speaks, I quickly cut her off," I know. I'm still going to school," I suddenly see her shoulders relax in relief.

"Good. I don't want you to ruin your education, just to look after me throughout my pregnancy. This was a mistake-," I cut her off (again), when she points down at her stomach.

"That baby, is no mistake! This baby is such a great gift from God!" I can't believe she'd call my brother or sister a mistake. That's quite messed up, if I do say so myself.

She looks down to her feet in shame," I know.. I'm sorry. It's just that everything happened out of nowhere.." she trails off.

I sigh and curtly nod my head, while I walk back to my room.

Since school doesn't start in a couple of hours, I might as well read something. I grab my phone off the charger and start reading random books from Wattpad.

A few hours later..

"KATARINA MARIE, SCHOOL STARTED AN HOUR AGO!"

Startled, I scream and somehow I end up on the floor, my book flying somewhere on the floor," NOOOO! My book!" I quickly get up and grab my book, checking if there were any creases. Nope. Phewww!

"YOUR BOOK DOESN'T MATTER, BUT WHAT DOES MATTER IS YOUR EDUCATION!" I look at the door, to see an angry lady- don't tell anyone.. she's my mum!-, I place my book flat on my bed.

I silently get up, with my hands up in mock-surrender," I'm sorry, Ma'am. I think we just had a little misunderstanding," I say, imitating a Southern accent.

She sighs, but a smile soon appears on her face," Marie.. if you're not up in five minutes.. you don't even want to know what I'd do," I look at her wide-eyed.