1. Wednesday, August 27th

Philip stood outside the U-haul and looked at the apartment building that was considered part of the dorms he would be staying in for his first year of college.

It was one of those apartment buildings where the stairs are on the outside, which had made Philip's Dads worry if it was safe to live there.

But Philip and his sister, Frances, as well as their two cousins, Georges and Will, had convinced them it was fine, plus the rent was affordable, and it was part of the college's dorms, so here they were.

"Are you gonna help me with the boxes or not, Pip?" Frances asked, appearing out of the U-haul, a stack of boxes in her arms.

"I will, I will." Philip answered, climbing into the U-haul and finding his bed, which had been disassembled to fit in the U-haul better, as well as be carried into the apartment easier. He picked up his mattress and followed Frances up the stairs to the second floor, where their apartment was.

"I thought we were bringing the couch in first," Will said "not beds."

"Shit. I forgot." Philip said, kicking open the door to the bedroom he was sharing with Frances, and setting down his mattress on the bare floor.

"Language!" Philip's Dad, John Laurens called from the kitchen.

"Sorry, Dad." Philip said, walking back out into the living room.

"I can't believe they consider these to be part of the dorms." John said "Why couldn't they have built more dorms when they didn't have room for everyone, instead of buying an apartment building?"

"I don't know, Dad," Philip said, walking out the front door "But we're here now."

John sighed in agreement, and began to help Will with building the coffee table.

On the way back down the stairs Philip bumped into another college student in the middle of moving in. "Hi, I'm Philip Hamilton!" Philip said politely. The man just rolled his eyes and continued up the stairs.

'What an ass.' Philip thought to himself 'But he might be mute, or have anxiety, Philip, be nice.'

"Philip!" A familiar voice called. Philip smiled and went to hug his girlfriend, Theodosia Burr.

"How's moving in for you?" Philip asked her.

"I'm in an apartment with a girl named Catherine. She's pretty nice, I think. She seems content by herself. The other two people are some guys named Eston and George. I think George is Catherine's older brother." Theodosia said before kissing Philip.

"Get a room." Frances said, walking back down the stairs to the U-haul.

Theodosia smiled and went to hug her friend. "How was your summer?" She asked Frances.

Frances shrugged. "I spent it with Philip, so it was ok at best."

"Rude!" Philip said as Theodosia giggled. He climbed into the U-haul and grabbed the disassembled thing the mattress goes on for his bed.

"If you'll excuse me," he said "I'm going to go make my bed."

"Ok, be sure to keep your things on your half of the room." Frances said as Philip walked back up the stairs. He passed John, Will, and his uncle Marquis Lafayette, who were going to get the couch.

Finally, after multiple failed attempts, Philip finished his bed and flopped down on it. The ceiling above him was blank, and Philip decided he would put some of his posters on it.

"Hey, fucker." Frances said, entering the room with her own mattress.

"Hey, shithead." Philip answered, hopping off his bed.

Frances and Philip walked down the stairs together to grab more things out of the U-haul. Theodosia had left to set up her own room.

The apartment building they were in was shaped like a square, though one side was missing to show the street. Their apartment was on the second of three levels not including the basement. And from every apartment you could see the courtyard, which besides the randomly scattered trees, was just a bunch of dead, yellowed grass. Small groups walked two and fro from the street, where a few U-hauls and trucks were parked on the curb. Philip could see his Pops, his other uncle Hercules Mulligan, his cousin Georges, and Aaron Burr having a conversation near Theodosia's apartment.

Georges saw them, and walked over to help unload boxes.

"How's the apartment?" Georges asked "I haven't seen it yet."

"It's really just the living room, which has the kitchen in one corner, plus yours and Will's room and the bathroom leading off the right side, and our room leading from the left." Frances explained as they walked up the stairs from the U-haul.

"Good thing we won't be in it that much, it sounds boring." Georges said.

"You're welcome to spruce it up a bit." Frances answered.

"I don't have the money to do that; none of us do." Georges said. Georges had recently had his lip pierced, and he played with the black stud when he wasn't talking.

"You're not wrong." Frances said as they walked into the apartment.

Marquis, Will, and John had finished arranging the couch, and were now trying to put the TV on the wall the couch faced.

"Need any help?" Philip asked once he put his boxes on his bed.

John shook his head no, and Philip walked back into his room to set up his things.

He put his clothes away in the shared closet while Frances set up her bed, and then put his sheets, blankets and pillows on his own. Finally, he began to tape posters to his ceiling and walls.

He put his Heathers, Dear Evan Hansen, and Be More Chill posters on the ceiling, and then posters of bands and TV shows, plus a few other musicals, like The Great Comet of 1812 and Groundhog Day on his wall.

Just as he finished, Alex walked into the room. "Hey kiddos, we're going to get lunch. Wanna come?"

"Ya, just a second." Philip said, running to get his shoes. Soon the whole family was off to get lunch at a nearby Mexican restaurant.

"Are you excited for college?" Alex asked as they walked.

Philip nodded. He was excited.