No Luck

You didn't see or hear from David for the next few days. He just left you a list of things that needed to be done, and you were grateful for that. Seeing him again under these circumstances would be so incredibly awkward. Especially now that you were beginning to remember more of the events that had happened that night...

What you knew was despite being drunk, he had been a caring and generous lover, and he had made you feel wanted and beautiful at a time when you needed it most.

Today he had left a note saying he would be coming into the office, and shortly after lunch he walked in, looking very crisp in a blue suit.

"Can we talk?" he said so no one else could hear him.

You said yes, and you followed him into his private office.

"Freddie's on his way over," he explained. "We're going to be performing together at a charity concert coming up.  I wasn't sure you'd want to see him."

"Did he say anything to you the other day?" you couldn't help asking.

"No...we haven't spoken in a week," David said, perplexed.

"But I ran into him and Brian as I was leaving your place the other morning."

"Hmm, that's odd," David said. "He never knocked on my door."

You stood there awkwardly for a moment.

"Oh Lord," David said, now understanding, "He saw you as you were leaving my place the morning after our..."

"Right," you said, "And of course he put two and two together."

"And that must be why he decided to just leave without seeing me. He must have been upset. Could he still have feelings for you?"

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't," you replied sadly.

"Have a seat," David said, abruptly changing the subject.  "There's something else I need to talk to you about."

You perched uncomfortably on the edge of one of the chairs.

"I talked with my girlfriend last night, and we worked things out," he said.

"Oh thank God," you said with relief and a bit of disappointment.

"Unfortunately, she doesn't want you working for me anymore. I'm going to have to let you go. I'm very sorry..."

"You mean...you're firing me?" you asked, turning white.

"I don't want to, believe me," he said earnestly. "I have no choice.  She isn't comfortable with us working together, and I don't blame her."

"Oh..." you said. "I see..."

You understood, of course. David had no choice. There was no way around it.  

Your life had officially turned to shit, all because of one drunken night.

David insisted on writing you a generous check before you left.  It was clear how bad he felt about the situation.  There was no time for teary goodbyes.  You had to get out of there before Freddie showed up.

And you almost made it...

But luck was not on your side, and you found yourself face-to-face with Freddie after you closed David's door behind you.

"Sleeping with the boss.  Real classy,"  he smirked cruelly.

Even now, when he was being such a bastard, you were struck by just how gorgeous he was.  But you couldn't allow his looks affect you anymore.

"Who I'm sleeping with is none of your business," you said.  "Besides, your bed is never empty."

"That's right," he said.  "In fact, someone's waiting for me in my bed right now."

"Poor girl," you said snidely.  "Or is it a guy?  You never could decide which way to go."

Your last comment must have struck a nerve, because he didn't have a quick come-back, and he lowered his eyes to the floor. That was your cue to leave, while you still had the upper hand.  

The fact was, it wasn't safe for you to be that close to him.  One more second looking into his eyes and you'd be begging him to take you back...