A Message

"Maybe we should switch to another table," one of your friends said, noticing your discomfort.

"No," you said with resolve, "It's fine. I'm not going to let him get the best of me."

"Good for you," both your friends said.

After a few martinis, you were feeling better, but a bit later you could feel Freddie's eyes on you again as you danced with your friends. And apparently, Ava noticed as well, because she was now glaring at you. Well, whatever, she could fuck off for all you cared. It wasn't your fault she couldn't control her man, and you glared right back at her.  You'd never hated anyone as much as you hated her.

Perversion was a big club, and soon you lost track of Freddie and Ava. The alcohol was kicking in and you were having a good time. That is, until one of your friends came running back to your table all flustered and out of breath.

"Oh my God, oh my God!" she screamed, totally flustered.

"What? What is it?" you asked in alarm.

"Freddie just talked to me!" she said, trying to calm herself down.

"Please don't tell me he came onto you," you said, full of dread.

"I wish!  But no, nothing like that..." she reassured you. "Actually, he's so drunk I don't really know what he was talking about! But holy Jesus, he's even hotter up close! I mean, holy fuck!"

"What did he say?" you asked.

"He said he had a message for you," she said.

"Well what was it?" you were becoming irritated.

"It didn't really make sense," she began. "Something like he'll get in trouble if he talks to you, and Brian's dangerous." She laughed at the last part.

"What the fuck?" you said.

"I know, right? He's so fucked up!" she shrugged.

"What the hell is that supposed to even mean?" you wondered.

"I don't have a clue," she replied. "Oh, and then he said something about a sex tape."

"That makes no sense at all," you said.

"Yeah, he's really drunk. But Christ, he's so fuckin hot. I mean, Brian's nice and all...but now I really understand why you're still stuck on Freddie..."

"I was stuck on Freddie," you corrected.  "The operative word here is was.  I have Brian now."

You almost had yourself convinced. Almost.  You reminded yourself how good Brian was to you.  He was supporting you completely, and now he was taking you on an amazing trip. Sure, he had lied to you, but it had been a white lie, really, you reasoned. Freddie was spending his time getting fucked up with that bitch Ava, and Brian was probably reading some book on astronomy in bed right now. It was a no-brainer who the better man for you was. And yet...knowing all that, your heart wanted what it wanted, and so did your body...

You saw Freddie over by the bar, and decided ask him yourself about this so-called message.  You walked up behind him, tapping him on his shoulder.

He turned around and then shrank back. "Go away, I can't talk to you," he slurred.

"You have a message for me?" you persisted.

Just then, Ava returned, and she stood between you and Freddie.

"You heard him,"  she said snootily,  "Go away.  He doesn't want to talk to you, and you're making yourself look desperate. It's really pathetic."

"Go fuck yourself, Ava," you spat.

"I don't need to," she said, blowing smoke in your face. "I have Freddie to fuck me."

You had to restrain yourself from punching the bitch right in her bitch face, but you turned away instead. Freddie had also turned away, refusing to look at you. What the fuck was wrong with him?

Ava was upset with him as you walked away.

"How dare you let her talk to me that way?" she screeched.

Freddie didn't say anything, but you smiled inside.  Ava wasn't as secure and confident as she pretended to be...

You decided it was time for you to go home. You'd had enough of Freddie's games for one night. Besides, you had better things to do--like packing for your trip to paradise with Brian.  You said goodnight to your friends, then went off to use the restroom once more.

But as luck would have it, that's just where Freddie was heading.  And Ava was nowhere in sight...