Back in Brian's Bed

Once you got back home, you couldn't stop thinking about Freddie's odd behavior.  All this nonsense about a sex tape was truly bizarre. You knew for a fact Brian didn't even own a VCR, and he would never in a million years make a sex tape of the two of you. And even if he had, he certainly wouldn't show it to anyone.  And the weird statement Freddie made about how he couldn't talk to you...what was that  about?  And why had he been so nervous?

You listened to the messages on your answering machine--all from Brian. He was worried because you weren't home yet, and he asked you to call him as soon as you got in, no matter what time it was.

You noticed it was after one a.m. You didn't want to call him because he was probably already asleep, but you figured he would be even more mad if you didn't call him at all.

But when he answered the phone, it was clear he hadn't been sleeping at all.

"You're just getting in?" he asked, obviously perturbed. "Rather late, isn't it?"

"It's not that late, Brian."

"Well it's certainly later than you should be out," he snapped.

You didn't say anything.  His attitude irritated you, but you knew he couldn't help being a worry wart.

"Well, as long as you're home safe," he said, calming down somewhat. "I was just worried, that's all."

You wondered if you should tell him you'd seen Freddie, and about his story about a sex tape, but you thought better. No reason to get Brian worked-up over nothing.

"Don't worry," you said, "I'm fine."

"Well, get some sleep, and I'll see you tomorrow, ok? I miss you," he said, his voice more gentle now.

"Ok, miss you too."

After you hung-up, you took a quick shower and headed off to bed. But you just couldn't stop thinking about Freddie. It was all just so weird, even for him.

That's when you heard a  scream coming from the apartment next door. And then you heard some loud noises like things being thrown around. Your neighbor was usually so quiet, so you were frightened.

You quickly dialed Brian's number. This time, he had been asleep, and he sounded grumpy.

"What is it," he said.

"Brian, something's wrong next door. I heard a scream, and now there are other loud noises."

"Call 911," he said, instantly awake. "I'll be right over."

The cops were already there by the time Brian arrived, but his presence made you feel even safer.  The apartment next to yours had been broken into, and the woman who lived there had been held at gunpoint while the perpetrators took all her expensive jewelry.  The woman wasn't hurt, but she was understandably shaken-up.

"You're staying at my place tonight," Brian said.

You didn't argue.  You didn't particularly like the idea of staying at your place tonight.

"As a matter of fact," he continued, "I don't want you living here at all.  I really thought this building was more secure.  You'll live with me until we find a more suitable place."

"Brian, I don't think that's necessary," you objected.

"It's been decided," he said firmly.  "You aren't safe enough here."

  As long as it was just a temporary situation, it wasn't worth arguing over.

Once you and Brian got back to his place, you took the opportunity to casually snoop around.   As you already knew, there was no VCR in the apartment.  

"Come to bed, dear," you heard Brian calling from the bedroom.

You threw on a nightgown and climbed into bed next to him, into his waiting arms.  Within minutes, he had pulled your nightgown off and began exploring your body.  You panicked for a moment as he felt your arousal with his tender fingertips--the arousal created by your encounter with Freddie--but Brian just assumed he had made you that way.

"Mmm," he moaned, "You're already ready..."

You smiled nervously as you gave yourself to him.  He treated you like a delicate flower, and it was all very nice and romantic.  And even though he was rather physically awkward, he was a very thorough and considerate lover, and he knew how to please.  

And yet...you wished you were in Freddie's bed instead.  It's so tragic, you thought, to be making love with one man, yet  yearning for another.  But no man ever made you feel the way Freddie did, and no one ever would.

It was just a feeling you were going to have to learn to live with...