Losing Your Cool

You quickly looked away and proceeded to open a champagne bottle with shaky hands, pouring a glass for Freddie and the model. You weren't going to give either of them the satisfaction of knowing just how flustered you really were.

You handed the first glass to Freddie, and your hand accidentally grazed his as he accepted it. That soft hand...those tapered fingers...Just that moment brought back so many memories.  Memories of all the countless hours you had spent in bed with him...those elegant fingers exploring your body, bringing you to utter ecstasy...

"Thank you," he said in his melodic voice.  The sound of it sent a shiver of excitement down your spine.

Then you handed the model a glass.

"What the hell is this?" she frowned.

"It's the champagne you asked for," you said coldly.

She rolled her eyes. "I know it's champagne," she said indignantly. "But it's not in a champagne glass. You can't possibly expect me to drink it like this."

You didn't  know what happened, but something came over you.   A feeling like never before.

"Can you drink it like this then?" you asked, quickly throwing the contents of the glass right in her bitch face.

 "You fucking bitch!" she sputtered.  

There was a collective gasp in the room, as everyone seemed stunned by your behavior.

"Get her out of here!" she ordered.

You didn't make eye contact with anyone as you spun around and walked out.  You had really hoped you would be able to keep your cool, but that bitch had pushed you too far, and you snapped.

Out on the street, everything seemed too loud and too bright.  You couldn't believe you'd let that skank get the best of you like that.  And now there was no doubt you would pay the price...

You leaned up against a building, taking some deep breaths and trying to calm yourself.  You closed your eyes for a moment, blocking out the bright sun.

"...Hey..." someone said softly.

It was so melodious, so soft, that perhaps it was just the breeze.

"Are you ok?" There was that voice again.

Your eyes flew open, and you saw that perfectly sculpted face before you. His dark eyes searched yours, obviously concerned.

"Freddie..." you choked.

"Yes..." he said, "I'm here..."

Your instincts took over, and you threw your arms around his neck, and he wrapped his arms around you. You breathed in his exotic scent, and it was as though ten years just melted away.

This is where I belong, you thought, right here in these arms...these arms that I have missed so much...

But then you remembered... Freddie had come to the studio to see that skank, not you, and you had just thrown a drink in her face.  What must he think of you?  You were embarrassed he'd seen you that way.

"Sorry I threw that champagne in your girlfriend's face," you said, stepping away. "I know I shouldn't have done that, but she was being such a bitch to me..."

"Don't worry," Freddie said. "Ava can be a handful at times. I'm sure she'll get over it."

You lowered your eyes in disappointment.  He didn't deny she was his girlfriend.  And now you knew her name was Ava.  And that name coming from his lips sounded so very elegant.  But how could someone like him be with someone like her?  Granted, she was young and beautiful, but still...she seemed so spoiled and crass.

"You look like you could use a drink," Freddie said, interrupting your thoughts.  "I know I could."

You looked up into his eyes, so dark and fathomless.  And up close like this, you could see his skin was still flawless, even in the bright sunlight.

"I know a little place just down the street," he continued.

He held out his arm, and you hesitated.  Not that you didn't desperately want to take it, but you'd been down that road before.  You knew the excitement--the pure adrenaline rush--of just being  with him.  And you also knew the accompanying heartache...

He looked at you questioningly.

In a flash, you accepted his offer.  Your heart had decided for you...