Brian's Fury

"Freddie...no...you can't be serious..." John said, not wanting to believe it.

"I'm sorry, John," Freddie's voice trembled. "I thought you should know..."

So it was true, John thought. When Freddie had said he didn't want to do this anymore, he was actually hinting that he was quitting the band.  

"Are you sure?" John

"Yes, I'm sure," Freddie answered. "The time is right."

"But...why?" John was trying to hold back his emotions.

"It's just something I need to do, John...God, I really hate letting you and Roger down like this..."

There was silence on the line. John was fighting back the tears.

"Don't say that, Freddie. You're not letting us down. You've never let us down, not once. If this is something you really want to do, then I will support you 100%. I just feel like there's more to the story."

It was not lost on John how Freddie had failed to mention Brian's name when he'd said "I hate letting you and Roger down like this..." No, he definitely didn't mention Brian, and John was sure it was no accident. Brian had something to do with this--he just knew it.

"It's not anything for you to worry about, John. It's just something personal I'm going through, and I have to deal with it in my own way. You've always been such a good friend to me, and I hope this won't affect our friendship."

John couldn't believe it. Being the youngest in the group, he felt like he'd practically grown up with Freddie, and this felt like the end of an era. An era of hunger, hard work, sleepless nights...and then fame, glamour, money and notoriety. Through it all--the bad and the good--the poverty and the prestige, they had weathered the storms together and had come out stronger because of it. He could honestly say he loved Freddie. He loved his diligence and his presence. He loved his determination and his perseverance.   And this had nothing to do with his physical attraction for him, either. This was much, much more than that. This was unconditional. This was for life.  

Seeing Freddie hurting like this was tearing him up inside.  He knew Freddie loved him too.  He also knew it was a brotherly love, not a romantic love, but that didn't matter.  He was going to get to the bottom of this, one way or another.

Brian sat in his towncar outside Freddie's apartment building, rehearsing what he would say and do.  Like everything in his life, it had to be perfectly executed.  He was feeling pumped up and confident.

Freddie had just hung up with John when he heard the knock on his door. He was totally unprepared when he opened it.  

In a fit of fury, Brian's fist connected with Freddie's face, sending him sprawling onto the floor.

"I know what you did, asshole," Brian said savagely...