Chapter 63

Their seats were labeled "Hamilton", with their names and what they were nominated for. They all found their seats. Kasey was next to Carleigh and Alysha.

Kasey's read "Hamilton, musical/ensemble, K. Winslow".

It was surreal. She never thought she would be at the Tony's, with her name on a chair as a nominee.

They started with the tech and design aspects.

"Most often, in musicals, the choreography in a show must be eye-catching and meaningful to the shows that they represent. This year's nominees embodied the spirit and mind of the cast and crew of their respective shows. The nominees are: Andy Blankenbueler, Hamilton; Savion Glover, Shuffle Along; Randy Skinner, Dames at Sea; and Sergio Trujuillo, On Your Feet."

Kasey held her breath. Andy had been an amazing choreography. She admired his talent and was awed at how he'd done Hamilton.

"And the Tony goes to... Andy Blankenbuehler, Hamilton!"

The whole cast burst into whoops and cheers as Andy made his way to the stage.

Andy gave his speech, thanking Lin and the cast. Kasey was surprised when he called out the ensemblists. She understood that he worked with them the most, but they hadn't been part of making him part of the show. Even still, Andy thanked the ensemble for being the main reason for his success.

Everyone was thrilled when Lac won for orchestration. Often Kasey didn't notice Lac- he was someone she relied on but never comprehended. He deserved every praise he received.

Tommy Kail and the lighting director won. Kasey was starting to get nervous. She didn't know what order the awards were in. She could tell Carleigh was getting nervous too.

They won for costuming, and then there was a stretch where Lin accepted two awards in a row- one for best original score and one for best book.

Lin was adorably emotional and thankful when he accepted his awards. Sometimes he had a speech prepared, but sometimes he didn't.

And then came the moment the ensemble had been waiting for. All along the line of ensemblists, they all held hands. Kasey squeezed Carleigh and Alysha's hands as the presenter began speaking.

"This award has been long overdue. The fact that the ensembles of Broadway shows are often overlooked has finally changed. The ensembles of each show hold up the main cast, filling the stage with fresh energy and enthusiasm. These are talented, unique individuals who add to the show even without starring roles. And here are the nominees for best ensemble of a musical."

"Bright Star, with Allison Briner-Dardenne, Patrick Cummings, Sandra DeNise, Michael X. Martin, Tony Roach, Sarah Jane Shanks, and William Youmans."

"Disaster, with Manoel Felciano, Casey Garvin, Travis Kent, Maggic McDowell, Olivia Phillip, Catherine Ricafort, Paul Castree, and Alyse Allan Louis."

"Hamilton, with Carleigh Bettiol, Andrew Chapelle, Ariana DeBose, Alysha Deslorieux, Sydney James Harcourt, Neil Haskell, Thayne Jasperson, Stephanie Klemons, Morgan Marcell, Jon Rua, Austin Smith, Seth Stewart, Betsy Struxness, Ephraim Sykes, Megan Anderson, Voltaire Wade-Green, and Kasey Winslow."

"She Loves Me, with Cameron Adams, Justin Bowen, Preston Truman Boyd, Alison Cimmet, Benjamin Eakeley, Sara Edwards, Michael Fatica, Gina Ferrall, Jennifer Foote, Andrew Kober, Laura Shoop, and Jim Walton."

Kasey held her breath. Carleigh was motionless beside her.

"And the Tony award goes to... The ensemble of Hamilton!"

They all jumped up shouting and yelling. Oak nearly strangled Kasey, he was hugging so tightly.  As they all made their way to the stage, she could vaguely here the presenter reading their names off. She saw Renee, grinning proudly, and Lin, giving them a standing ovation. She could see Pippa, Jazzy, Lac, Oak, Daveed...

"Accepting the award for the cast is Carleigh Bettiol and Jon Rua."

And then they were onstage. They all crowded together as they were each handed a Tony award. Kasey couldn't believe they had won. She could never have dreamed.

"Alright," Jon said, after getting his award. "First of all, to our fellow nominees. We all have to say you are fantastic. It's an honor to be called ensemblists alongside ensembles like yours. It's a dream come true. Since there's so many of people in this cast, just two of us are speaking."

"We talked about this. We want to start off by thanking Lin, Lac, Tommy, and the techies. We couldn't do it without you. And shoutouts to pit and our helpers backstage. We also want to thank Jonathan, Pippa, Renee, Jazzy, Anthony, Oak, Daveed and Leslie. Words cannot express our admiration and our respect for all of you. And to Andy, our choreographer, and everyone who made this show possible. And I want to thank my family. I could not have done it without you. Thank you."

Kasey clasped her hands as Carleigh stepped forward. She was so proud of her best friend.

"Now for the personal stuff. We cannot have done it without each other. What makes our ensemble strong is the bond we have together. We do this for each other. This is our families, and we're honored to receive this award. We don't do it for things like this- we do it for the audience, for the people onstage with us. We do it for Lin."

Kasey felt tears start to form in her eyes. They had really done it, and of all the people Carleigh could have thanked, she included Kasey.

"The entire ensemble wants to thank the parents, the friends, the fans. This is for you," Carleigh said. "We want everyone to remember- one person cannot change the world, but one person can change the world if they have people willing to do it with them."

The ensemble toasted their Tony's and then stepped offstage to return to their seats. Kasey hugged Carleigh when they sat down.

"I can't believe we did it," she said.

"Well, I can," Carleigh told her, smiling. "I'm not surprised at all- everyone deserves it. I'm proud of everyone."

They'd done it. They'd won.

~~~~~~~~~~
Apparently I never published this whoops