Chapter 33

Renee arrived at the theatre later than usual, and signed in on the call sheet. She noticed that both Kasey and Carleigh's signatures were missing, and of course, Leslie's. He was always late, so Renee wasn't all that concerned.

But it was uncharacteristic of Carleigh and most of all Kasey to be this late to the theatre. Renee scanned the list again. Pippa was there, Jazzy and Anthony were here... Carleigh and Kasey were the only ones missing. That had never happened before, and they hadn't been on the summary list of the week of absentees.

Then she checked the substitution list.

Out-

Carleigh Bettiol (ensemble track 1)

Kasey Winslow (ensemble track 6)

In- 

Morgan Marcell (ensemble track 1)

Stephanie Klemons (ensemble track 6)

Renee was still surprised. Neither of them had mentioned being out the day before, and they had both seemed healthy. 

She quickly texted Carleigh as she walked down the hall to her dressing room. 

Renee: are you both alright?

Carleigh: something happened yesterday and we're taking care of it

Renee: are you hurt?

Carleigh: no, it's just some family difficulties on kasey's side. i don't think she really wants people to know at this point, but texting her to let her know you're thinking about her might cheer her up

Renee: i hope everything turns out

Carleigh: i do, too. have a good show, renee

Renee: best of luck

Renee put her stuff on the floor of her dressing room and quickly put her hair into her usual hairstyle and started putting on her makeup. 

"You're later than usual," Jazzy commented. 

"I was running late, I accidentally burnt some cookies and had to scrape the bottom of my oven out," Renee said. 

"That's rather tragic," Jazzy said. 

"It was very sad," Renee agreed. "Are you both staying between shows or are you going home?" 

"I think I'm staying here, Lin said something about music rehearsal for 'Say No to This,'" Jazzy said. "What about you, Pippa?"

"I was planning on staying. The ensemble girls wanted to play Sorry," Pippa said.

"Crap, I forgot about that," Renee said. "I'll stay, too."

"Speaking of ensemble girls, where are Kasey and Carleigh? I haven't seen them at all, and usually I pass them when I'm getting my mic," Pippa said, while putting on eyeliner. 

"I think there was a family emergency, and Carleigh's staying with Kasey," Renee told Jazzy and Pippa.

Jazzy frowned. "I hope everything's okay. They're both cinnamon rolls," she said. "I love Kasey. She's such a beautiful person."

"That's true," Pippa agreed. "She's very selfless, and she's energetic. She and Carleigh seem like really good friends. They're the Schuyler Sisters of the ensemble."

"But who's their Peggy?" Jazzy asked, laughing.

"I don't know, maybe Ariana?" Pippa answered, also laughing. "They are honestly friendship goals."