Chapter 42

Daveed's singing went wonderfully- the entire time, Kasey just tried to take shelter in Carleigh's jacket. It was cold. Very cold. 

When she finally stepped back inside, she hurried up to the ensemble dressing room to finish getting ready for the show.

"How did the Ham4Ham go?" Ariana asked as Kasey stepped back inside.

"Daveed nailed it, and it was hysterical," Kasey told Ariana. "Except it's freezing outside, so there's that. I'm so glad to be inside right now. Thanks for the jacket, Carleigh."

Carleigh nodded. She was on her phone.

"Kasey, say hi to the Snapchat!" she exclaimed. Kasey leaned over her shoulder. 

"Hey, Snapchat," she said. "CARLEIGH'S GOING ON AS ELIZA TODAY!" 

"Well, we have a show, guys, so we gotta run!" Carleigh said. 

"Places in one minute!" the announcements blared, right on cue. Kasey quickly shrugged out of Carleigh's jacket and changed her pants. She'd worn her costume top outside, because she knew she wouldn't have that much time.

Carleigh, Ariana and Kasey walked to the stage together. When they got to the stage, Kasey had to head to her place.

She turned to Carleigh. 

"I know you'll crush it, so I'll see you at intermission and onstage," Kasey told her friend. "Love you lots, Carleigh."

"Thank you for all of the encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you," Carleigh said, hugging Kasey before pulling away. 

"Good luck with that corset!" Kasey called as she hurried away.

"Thanks," Carleigh responded sarcastically.

~~~~~~~~

The show went extremely well- Carleigh was amazing. Kasey couldn't help but be in awe of her best friend as she sung Eliza. Her interpretation, while obviously different than Pippa's, was still amazing. 

When the show was over, Kasey made sure to snap a picture with Carleigh in her Eliza costume before running back to the dressing room to change out of her costume.

They'd agreed to meet Patricia in the lobby once everyone left- security knew that Carleigh's mom was coming and they didn't make her leave like everyone else.

Kasey was just returning from putting her mic away when she saw Carleigh leaning against the door of the girls' dressing room, already changed, and waiting for Kasey. 

"You were fantastic," Kasey said, hugging her friend. "Eliza was such a cinnamon roll tonight."

"Thanks," Carleigh grinned. "Ready to go?"

Kasey nodded. They headed through the door connecting the lobby of the Richard Rodgers to backstage. Immediately they heard Patricia talking to one of the security guards.

"So what do you think of my daughter?" Kasey heard Patricia demand.

"Carleigh is one of the kindest ensemble members," the security guard said. He was smiling- he didn't seem annoyed at all. "The whole ensemble is full of good people, but Carleigh stands out to many who come here."

"What about Kasey Winslow?"

Kasey was a little surprised that Patricia was interrogating a security guard about her- asking him about Carleigh made more sense, because Patricia was her mother. But Patricia barely knew Kasey. Why would she care?

"Kasey is one of the cast members that everyone loves," the security guard said, while looking towards the main doors. 

Patricia finally spotted Kasey and Carleigh approaching from the side door.

"Carleigh!" she squealed, running up to her daughter and hugging her fiercely. "You were so amazing. I'm so proud of you!"

Kasey stood awkwardly to the side until Patricia pulled her into the hug. 

"And you were fantastic, Kasey," Patricia said. "You're such a talented girl."

"Thanks, Patricia," Kasey laughed. 

Patricia pulled away. "Now, we're going out for dinner."

"Actually, I can't. I have to talk to Lin about something," Kasey remembered. "I'm sorry about that- I completely forgot."

"No, that's fine, sweetie. I'll talk to you later, then," Patricia reassured her. 

"I can wait for you, if you want," Carleigh offered. "It's not a big deal. I can walk home with you when I'm done.

"No, go out for dinner. I'll see you when I get back to the loft," Kasey said, waving Carleigh on. Carleigh was reluctant to leave but Patricia managed to drag her out the door, leaving Kasey in the lobby.

Kasey took a deep breath and prepared to talk to Lin about Alaina Reese.