Chapter 38

Kasey found herself once more on Patricia Bettiol's doorstep, this time for Christmas. She found herself regarding Carleigh's childhood home as a sort of refuge from her normal life. As much as she loved the loft, there were so many thoughts about Wendy and Paul there that it was becoming melancholy. 

"Kasey, dear," Patricia said, kissing Kasey's cheeks as she ushered Kasey and Carleigh inside. "I missed you."

"Thank you so muchfor having me," Kasey said somewhat awkwardly. "Happy Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you, too," Patricia replied, smiling. "Let me take your coat."

Kasey shrugged out of her wool coat and scarf. Carleigh took it before Patricia could even get the chance. 

"Um, where do gifts go?" Kasey asked Patricia as Carleigh went to put their coats away.

"You didn't need to bring gifts, you're a guest" Patricia said, holding a hand to her heart. "You're such a dear."

"Well, I couldn't be a rude house guest. Besides, it's Christmas, and you deserve it after everything you've done for me," Kasey told Patricia. "I like Christmas shopping."

It had felt strange not getting gifts for Wendy and Paul. As a matter of fact, Kasey really didn't have anyone to get gifts for anymore. Wendy and Paul were dead, her parents were dead, her brother was dead, and all of her English friends had long since forgotten about her. It had stung a little bit. That was the hardest part of the holidays- realizing that she had no family left whatsoever.

"How about you bring them into the family room and put them under the tree with all the other gifts?" Patricia suggested. Kasey set down her duffel bag and carried the bag of gifts to the family room.

Inside was a huge, full Christmas tree, decorated with colorful ornaments, shimmering lights, and a train running along the bottom. Kasey could spot baby pictures of Carleigh and her sister, and a picture of a man that Kasey didn't know. She assumed that it was Carleigh's father. And on top was a gold star. 

Kasey hadn't had a Christmas tree in years. Ever since moving to America, she'd always run out of time to buy a Christmas tree. Wendy and Paul were never really the Christmas type- their celebrations consisted of one gift each and then a moderately fancy lunch on Christmas day.

She knelt by the tree and laid out her gifts. Carleigh appeared from the other room just as Kasey was extracting the first gift from her bag.

She could read all of the nametags on the gifts that were already laid out, and she was surprised to see her name on quite a few of them. It made a little lump form in her throat. It was surreal to see her name on a gift, especially since this year, she'd been expecting to celebrate Christmas alone. 

Kasey laid out the gifts she'd brought for Carleigh, Patricia, and a few somewhat generic ones for Carleigh's sister. She didn't know much about Patricia, but she had gotten her gifts she knew her own mother would have loved. She hoped that it would make Patricia happy. 

"Brooke is coming soon," Patricia announced. "Then we can have dinner. We'll open presents afterward."

Carleigh nodded and sat down on the couch. After a few awkward moments, Kasey joined her. 

"Brooke's excited to meet you," Carleigh told Kasey. "She's a cool sister. I think you two will like each other."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

"Carleigh, can you get that?" Patricia asked, while pulling some kind of dish out of the oven. Carleigh sprang up and slid to the door in her socks.

"Carleigh!"

"Brooke!" Carleigh squealed. Kasey was extremely tempted to sing 'the Bettiol sisters' but she wasn't sure if Brooke would appreciate the reference. Kasey stood as Brooke entered the family room area.

"Brooke!" Patricia gushed, hugging her daughter. Kasey felt a brief tinge of jealousy at the mother-daughter relationship before shaking it off.

After greeting her mother and sister, Brooke turned to Kasey.

"Hi," Kasey said hurriedly. "Um, I'm Kasey. I'm Carleigh's loft friend."

"And I'm Brooke," Brooke answered. "I've heard so much about you! I'm so glad I can finally put a face to the name."

"I hope everything you heard was good," Kasey joked.

"Of course," Brooke laughed. "Carleigh adores you. I'm sure I will, too."

"Carleigh tends to exaggerate. I'm sure I'm not as great at she says."

"You are just as wonderful as Carleigh said, don't worry," Patricia interrupted. "Dinner's ready."

~~~~

They all sat down to eat, one on each side of the table. Kasey was next to Carleigh and Brooke.

"How is work?" Patricia asked Brooke.

"It's pretty good, actually. I'm really starting to enjoy it, and the people there are really nice," Brooke replied. "It's intense sometimes but most of the time it's fun."

"How's Hamilton?" Patricia turned to Kasey and Carleigh.

"It's going so well. People seem to love it and we're having fun. It honestly doesn't feel like work sometimes," Carleigh admitted. "It's honestly the best show that I could have dreamed being in."

"What about you, Kasey?"

"It's beyond my wildest dreams, quite honestly. I never would have expected any of this to happen," Kasey said honestly. "And thank you for having me. It... it means more than you know."

"Well, anyone patient enough to deal with Carleigh deserves special treatment," Brooke joked.

"Hey!" Carleigh protested.

"I love living with you," Kasey reassured her friend.

"I'm glad, because there's no one else I want to live with ever," Carleigh said, bumping elbows with Kasey.